The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2000, 08:55 PM   #1
EQUALIZER

Want to start reloading .45 ACP and was wondering what the going prices on sale typically costs for jacketed SWC for practice? When I was on mailing lists, I remember that they weren't going for any less than .10c/ each bullet. I'd be just about as happy casting my own, but am considering a particular set up that is not compatible with lead. 9mm Has got me spoiled.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Old March 18, 2000, 05:15 AM   #2
johnnybravo

Robert, Have you tried those not jacketed, but "plated" lead bullets?

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old March 18, 2000, 01:26 PM   #3
Ricciardelli

Shop around, I have found Nosler bulk pak (250 per box) for around $11 a box; Hornady bulk packed (2000 per box) for around $168.
Old March 18, 2000, 07:59 PM   #4
EQUALIZER

Correct me if I'm wrong, but plated sounds like the only way to go unless the ammo is for a special purpose like hunting.

Unless the shipping dramatically changes the price, the Noslers are only 4.4c/ea. Good price. I think the Hornady's come out to 8.4c/ea. shot minus brass and powder. Shooting nickles out the tube is more appealing than dimes. Besides, nickles blow much bigger holes in targets than dimes do. Thanks for the info. I'm still mulling over this one.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Old March 19, 2000, 09:05 AM   #5
johnnybravo

Robert,
I can cast up my own bullets for under three dollars per thousand, all sized and lubed and ready to load. I have no leading problem at all with this.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old March 19, 2000, 10:06 PM   #6
EQUALIZER

Johnnybravo,

Yea, you just can't beat casting your own. Except for the extra time, its pretty much free. Do you mind telling me what ratio your lead alloy is? The reason I'm asking about .45 reload price is in the remote possibility that I get one of those "gas" opperated barrels for a 45 project I'll be working on.
The guys who make these gas barrels say not to use lead because it will clog up the system. I shoot 9mm right now.

------------------

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited March 19, 2000).]
Old March 20, 2000, 04:30 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Bull-X (lead), Rainier, Berry's, Zero...

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"