The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

.223 / 5.56 Hunting Loads

I've neither hunted with a .223 / 5.56 nor had an AR. But I'm thinking about scratching that itch as I've seen a number of Bushmasters and similar with a 1/9 twist available at very reasonable prices recently. I would want it to hunt coyote, hog, and deer. Without buying another upper in something like 6.8 SPC, are there suitable rounds for each animal? (Where I hunt, 90% will be taken within 150 yards and essentially none beyond 200.)

For some examples, would the factory 62 grain 5.56 green tip be suitable for coyote or hog? Would the 75 grain V-Max be suitable for hog or deer? And/or what would be some suggestions? (I can reload, but due to hours in the day limitations right now I'd prefer to stick with factory ammo if it is possible for ethical hunting.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old November 17, 2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Panfisher

The .223/5.56 is plenty capable of taking deer and hogs along with coyotes. Personal knowledge of 4 deer taken with them in the last few weeks. Good hunting style bullets, moderate range and proper shot placement will do the trick. I doubt if a 1:9 twist would stabilize a 77 grain bullet but some do. My R15 and hand rifle live on mostly 55 or 60 grain reloads but there are plenty of factory loads for hunting deer/hog sized game.
Old November 17, 2014, 07:19 PM   #3
bucksnort13

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and from the opinions I got a 64 grain 223 load will work on deer fine. I am planning on hunting this weekend with my new Ruger AR-556 with 64 Grain winchester Super X.
Old November 17, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
2damnold4this

I haven't tried them yet but I intend to try Federal Fusions in .223.
Old November 17, 2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Panfisher

One of the 4 taken was with the fusion ammo. Was very accurate in his rifle also.
Old November 18, 2014, 03:21 AM   #6
Barnacle Brad

Bullet selection is going to be key. For deer and hog you are going to want a partition, or bonded bullet that hangs together for penetration into the vitals. The frangible vmax type bullets would be better suited for the yotes.

Heavier bullets are not necessarilly better. Sufficient velocity to deliver hydrostatic shock and proper shot placement for an instant kill is the goal - and knowing the effective range your round is limited to.
Old November 18, 2014, 06:10 PM   #7
SerenityNetworks

Thanks for the input. I've taken both the input and some scrounging I could perform online and came up with the following list that I'm thinking may be suitable for coyote, feral hogs, and whitetail. I've listed them (more or less) in order of suitability, from what I've been able to determine. The 70+ grain ammo is there just to try and see what happens.

I'd appreciate your input on the list.

Thanks again,
Andrew
  • Winchester Super-X (.223 REM, 64 Grain, Power Point)
  • Silver State Armory – SSA (5.56 mm, 64 Grain, PP Bonded)
  • Silver State Armory – SSA (5.56mm NATO, 63 Grain, Soft Point)
  • Federal Fusion (.223 REM, 62 Grain, MSR – Modern Sporting Rifle)
  • Winchester (.223 REM, 55 Grain, Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip)
  • Ultramax (.223 REM, 55 Grain, Soft-Point)
  • Black Hills (.223 REM, 69 Grain, Match King)
  • Black Hills (.223 REM, 52 Grain, Match Hollow Point)
  • Hornady Superformance (5.56mm NATO or .233 REM, 75 Grain, BTHP)
  • Silver State Armory – SSA (5.56mm NATO, 77 Grain, Open Tip Match)
Old November 19, 2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Brotherbadger

Andrew,

All those ammo choices look good to me. I'm a huge fan of the Winchester 64 gr PP and the federal fusion. Inside 150 yards they will devastate.

As an aside, I would try to find a 1:7 or 1:8 if you are gonna go with higher grain bullets. 1:9 will work great for lighter loads but it may fail to stabilize heavier loads. Then again, if it's a good enough deal, go for it. You won't regret it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Tags
.223 hunting , ar15 , ar15 hunting ammo , bushmaster