The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 23, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
UniversalFrost

Marlin rimfire twins

Just picked up a new xt-22l to go with my xt-17vl..

i love the new trigger they have and other than having to drift the rear sight into proper position the xt-22 is good to go!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 23, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
McShooty

I would love to see some groups!
Old February 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Daggitt

It sure is a good looking rifle.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
snuzzo29

Very nice. I have been looking for an XT-22 in the wood stock for awhile now. Hows it shoot?
Old February 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

A nice pair of rifles, regardless.
And, I completely agree - The new triggers are light-years ahead of the older versions.

--

Those rear sights tend to wander around a bit, due to the flimsy steel they use.

If you have more trouble, it may be worth swapping to the older 'fiber-optic' sights from the 800-series (if you can find some). The rear leaf and front base were plastic, but the rear base and spring didn't flex or wander as much and were secured with set-screws.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

going to be a few weeks before i can get them to the range.

I am moving to WV next weekend.

I had bought the XT-17VL from Dick's because it was a good deal and a friend gave me a gift card for christmas.

then when i picked it out they had a special running where if you spent more than $100 you got a $25 gift card to use a few weeks later..

Well i took that $25 gift card in and since it didnt say anything about guns on it (they normally restrict you to non firearms/ammo purchases with their gift cards) they had to take it...

in the end i basically ended up paying for the XT-17VL and getting the xt-22l for free (when you figure in the discounts and gift cards on both deals)...

Old February 23, 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
alex0535

I have an older version of these in .17 HMR, Marlin 917v. It has the older type trigger, which I have modified by replacing the trigger return spring. They look almost the same otherwise, my stock has a less distinctive grain, dark like the lower one you have, maybe a little more red.

I love mine. Inside of 150 yards, the accuracy is fantastic, couldn't ask for anything better. It has been the go-to squirrel gun for a while.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:25 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Alex, clean up the trigger and sear engagement surfaces (including where the sear contacts the striker), and put a factory spring back in it. It'll feel much better than the 'light but rough' trigger that results from just cutting coils.

I stoned and polished my 882SS and helped with a family member's 880SQ. They're so much better than the triggers we experimented with, that just had cut coils or lighter springs.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Corey Jacobs

Marlin rimfire twins

A little JB weld and a file will do wonders on the old triggers too. Reduce sear engagement and over travel.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:56 AM   #10
UniversalFrost

i too own the 917v in addition to my new additions i just posted about.

polish the engagement surfaces (lots of informational how to's on the web) and also instead of cutting the spring simply get a spring from a ball point pen (try out several as they are all different weights) and you will have a very light trigger!

my old 917V i didtched the factory wood stock and put on a boyds blaster (in royal jacardna) on it and bedded the receiver and first 2 inches of the barrel and free floated the rest. shot dime size groups all day long!

with the new xt triggers and also the new laminated stocks i am really loving the XT line! no need to spend the time and money in them like before (i actually got a savage 93 with accutrigger after my 917v because it had a nice trigger and good stock) and they are giving the savage a run for their money.

one last PLUS is that the XT stocks are ADULT sized stocks with a decent LOP instead of KID sized stocks that most 22 and 17 guns have...

Old February 24, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
SGreve32x

Nice pair of shooting rigs you have there.