The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2002, 10:16 AM   #1
trigger45

rifled slug in a rifled barrel

i know that your supposed to use a rifled slug in a smooth bore but could you use a rifled slug in a rifled barrel?
Old December 7, 2002, 11:05 AM   #2
iamkris

I've heard...

...that rifled slug in a rifled bbl is supposed to give lousy accuracy. I have fired Fed saboted slugs out of a Mossy rifled slug bbl and get amazing accuracy.. Have followed it up with regular old Fowler slugs just after. Was surprised to see them hit same POI, group opened up though to about 3" at 50 yds. After that my shoulder got too sore. Bad thing was, though, that they left lots of lead in the rifling.
Ultima Ratio Civis - the last method of a citizen
Old December 7, 2002, 11:44 AM   #3
hksigwalther

As iamkris mentions, the general consensus, although I've never tried it myself, seems to be that rifled slugs aren't very accurate through rifled barrels. Only thing to look out for after shooting is leading on the rifling.

But, since rifled slugs can be had pretty cheaply, at least here in OH at less than $2/5 rounds, why not try it out and see for yourself? I'd try it just to see but don't have a rifled barrel. Who knows? Maybe you might find a slug load that will work great.