The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2013, 06:46 PM   #76
Waspinator

You say this...

Quote:
The point of this exercise is repeatedly getting lost.

The mechanism, the round count, only one round, the brand, the cost ... all of such distractions ARE NOT part of the premise so put forth...

But started off with this...

Quote:
You and your family are on a cross-country trip, and sleeping in a small hotel on the edge of some high crime city, when the door busts open in the middle of the night. The large silhouette in the doorway is holding a knife, a Big Knife, and your kids are still sleeping. You grab your handgun next to you on the bedside table as he enters the room and you only have time for one shot to save everybody.

Which would you choose with one shot and your family’s life was on the line …

I don't think your original post should have been worded the way it was.

Why all the set-up about everyone's life on the line, for that one shot you had time for? Why all the melodramatics? Why the constant use of CAPS?. Do you do realize that when you write in caps you come off as condescending? Then, Comments like "We are not impressed".. who is "We"? Now all the talk of warriors and swords?

You should have just asked, right from the beginning, without any of the theater, which platform people like and trust. Period. Maybe then, the thread would proceed how you think it should.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:10 PM   #77
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill45 View Post
The point of this exercise is repeatedly getting lost.

The mechanism, the round count, only one round, the brand, the cost ... all of such distractions ARE NOT part of the premise so put forth...

Wrong. Your original question was

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill45 View Post
Would you feel more nervous and think about if the gun will work more if you had an auto in your hand than if you had a revolver?

Seriously, that last time your handgun failed, was it an auto or a revolver?

Which would you choose with one shot and your family’s life was on the line … PERIOD … NO OTHER OPTIONS OR THOUGHTS … PERIOD

WHICH ONE AND WHY?
You asked about which style of weapon we found to be more dependable. That is very much a question of mechanics, quality, and round count. You created an artificial situation, and we are bringing in real world experiences with our weapons, as you asked us to do. Sorry we answered your question the way it was worded...
Old August 1, 2013, 04:14 AM   #78
armsmaster270

Ether would work for me but as I carry A Sig 226 in 357Sig that is what I would use. I have been in that situation and my Model 15 with 110gr +P+ round stopped him DRT.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:36 AM   #79
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill45
What Sword would you choose when headed out to battle ... style one--Auto or Sword style two--revolver??? Period...
Hopefully you're aware that the same style of sword is not appropriate to every battle. There are different styles suitable for different purposes.

Sometimes you'd choose your rapier, sometimes your broadsword, sometimes your cutlass. Depends on the battle.

Maybe you'd have better luck describing your parameters for a sword battle. As JimmyR stated above, you've kind of wandered away from your original post on semi vs revolver.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:05 AM   #80
Glenn E. Meyer

The exercise is now silly. Do you chose a one button or two button mouse to close a thread?

Closed.