The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 29, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
from the Hip

I found an old cz pistole

My Father recently passed. As we (my siblings and I) where Preparing his house for sale I found a gun with some stuff of my grandfathers in a old shoe shine kit, of all places. the gun is a CZ with markings on the side as follows "fnh Pistole Modell 27 Kal. 7.65" .
I suspect that this might be a war trophy of my grandfathers from WWII. I had heard that My uncle lost an old Walther P38 from the war during a black bear hunt in the late 1960's. but I have no idea where this CZ gun came from or if my father even knew it exsisted.
Might anyone know anything about this , is 7.62 still in use? Any info would be apereciated.
Thanks
Old May 29, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2
leadcounsel

I would not make a habit of posting serial numbers for guns on websites... for instance someone could report it as stolen...
Old May 29, 2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

7.65 is the European designation for the .32 ACP cartridge.

Many, many thousands of CZ 27s were made. Decent guns.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 1, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4
BlueTrain

I didn't see any serial number posted.

The CZ27 was an issue army pistol as was the predecessor CZ24. The earlier pistol actually came in a special caliber but some were converted, I believe. They are quite interesting, at least to me, though I've never owned one. They are rather overbuilt for the caliber and there is a slight danger from the stiker if it breaks, or so I've read.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 2, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5
mete

The CZ 24 is a rotating barrel locked breech pistol in 380 [9mm short]. The CZ 27 is a blowback in 32 acp [ 7.65]. The CZ 24 is an excellent pistol ,I used to have one.
Old June 2, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6
wyrdone

I have one of the newer CZ-50's and I absolutely love the nice purple blueing technique they used.

The CZ-50 I have is also build like a tank (like most good military arms) and aside from some wear & tear on the magazine catch still function very well.

I also have a CZ-52....one of the MOST fun range guns I have ever bought.
CZ-50
CVA Bobcat .50Cal Blackpower
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1942)
Marlin 336 .30-30 Lever Action
Yugo SKS 59/66
CZ-52
Bulgarian Makarov
Swiss K-31
Rock Island 1911A1

Near Future (hopefully):
M1 Garand
CZ-75
Old June 3, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7
from the Hip

on the top of the slide infront of the rear sight there is a small nazi eagle aprox 0.08 wide. withc made me wonder why a check weapon has german markings.
Old June 3, 2006, 01:04 PM   #8
RJay

Of course you know from reading your High School history lessons that the Germans overran a number of countries in WW II. To feed their enomous war machine, one of their first actions when entering a conquered contry was to take over their weapon industry. Czechoslovakia was no exception. The Germans simplified the designed of the CZ 24 and it was issued to second line troops. The " nazi eagle" was part of the proofing and Wehrmacht acceptance marking, by the way, why is it an "Nazi" eagle ?, why not just a German Eagle since the German proof of an Eagle over an N is still in use ( since 1941) today. Also as was posted the 7.65 is nothing more tham the common .32 ACP.
Old June 3, 2006, 01:27 PM   #9
mete

The Czechs have an excellent history with firearms . In fact there is more than one 'German" gun that was designed by Czechs ! Their manufacturing was top of the line too.M98s made by the Czechs are among the best.
Old June 3, 2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have Polish and French weapons with the Nazi eagle, also known as the Waffnamt (sp?) or acceptance mark.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.