The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Steve 123

Bullet seating depth tool

Anyone use the Stony Point bullet depth tool and is the uniformity consistent?
Have you seen better group size on target due to using this tool?
Old November 5, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2
rwilson452

seating depth tool

Anyone use the Stony Point bullet depth tool and is the uniformity consistent?

Yes

Have you seen better group size on target due to using this tool?

No.

Remember this tool only gives you a starting point. The best seating depth can only be found by trial and error. The tool will only save you a few shots.
Old November 6, 2005, 05:06 AM   #3
donkee

Steve, try this and see if it works for you......

http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html
Old November 6, 2005, 06:20 AM   #4
Foxman

As an engineer used to making precise and important measurements, I am often surprised that people take for granted methods of measurement that it requires only a little thought, to see cannot possibly be accurate and or repeatable. Slicing a case to hold a bullet is one of them, it is a touch better than sticking a cleaning rod down the bore and taping it as has been suggested elsewhere, but not much better.
The Stoney point tool is without doubt one of the best ways to measure and is repeatable with your bullet and barrel. It doesnt actually measure seating depth, their other accessory does that, but it does accurately enough measure the point in the barrel/ rifling that your intended bullet makes contact and allows you to measure the case overall length at that point. You will need the case OAL gauge and a digital or vernier caliper ( whichever you feel comfortable reading)to make different jump rounds. You then need to make rounds with, depending on caliber, different jump distances so that you can find the best distance for that rifle. Once you have found it you will find that it applies equally to other bullets used in that rifle. The other part of the eqation is of course the powder charge and primer, but you will see a difference between the various bullet jump distances and when you have the right one, good groups sre much esier to shoot and you can try different powders/loads etc to fine tune your ammo.
Old November 6, 2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Bullet94

You might look at this -

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/show...=seating+depth
Old November 6, 2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Foxman

There is one guy talking sense there Bullet94.
I should also have said to our friend, buy one of the reloading books R. Lee's or Hornady etc and read up on the general details of load development for your gun. It is a lot easier when you know what your trying to achieve and what sort of things affect the results.
Old November 7, 2005, 04:28 PM   #7
kingudaroad

When it comes to reloading, knowledge is everything ! If I know the length of my chamber and can adjust my oal to however far from the lands as suits my particular rifle to make it shoot more accurately, then thats a good thing.BTW the stony point camber length guage is almost useless without a comparator(I think I said that right) that attaches to your calipers so you can measure your oal from the ogive of the bullet rather than the inconsistent bullet tip. Also with the stony point tool I measure the chamber 10 times and take the average of the measurements. It sounds a little anal but It sure shoots good.I put one through a turkeys neck with my 270 yesterday at 75 yards. I was glad for the improved accuracy.
Old November 7, 2005, 05:59 PM   #8
Foxman

Ill go with that Kingudaroad, I dont do 10 but I sure do at least five measuresand take the mean of them, I di I think mention you need the compartor and the caliper to complete the set.
Nice shooting on the turkey hen.
When I first got my 270 , worked up a load with hornady 130grn spire tip and norma cases with 60grns H4831SC, zeroed up with .5" group and took a carrion crow of top of pine tree at about 100 yds (I was on a hillside so it was below me) that put a real grin on my face, I couldn't wait for a deer to come out,. I took two on that trip and had all the confidence in the world when squeezing the trigger!