The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 4, 2009, 05:39 PM   #51
SPUSCG

my friend's dad said hed shoot with me as long as i dont buy wolf, he respects his kimber too much.

another friend got some wolf and did shoot it, poor accuracy and bad cleaning.

wolf gold, ill recommend. its privi partisan, good 8mm.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:51 PM   #52
FyredUp

I guess the next time I go shoot my WASR-10 I better yell at it for working and being accurate enough for what I am doing with the Wolf ammo. Well, I mean since most people here say it is junk. Funny, it has never failed to fire or eject. AND I am not nearly as religious about cleaning the rifle as I probably should be.

Thinking more and more about that AR-15...plusses...seems to be ammo finicky and needs more cleaning and oiling to keep it working. Ummm, no thanks.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:20 PM   #53
Buzzard Bait

cry cry cry

I've run a few hundred rounds of Wolf threw my colt hbar I don't think it new the difference when I cleaned it I didn't know the difference first few patches are black then it gets better.

Buzzard Bait
Old March 4, 2009, 06:46 PM   #54
Snake307

Just shot some Wolf 9mm. No problems.

I don't have anything in 5.56 so I can't comment on that. I did just run a hundred rounds of Wolf 9mm through two pistols. No issues. In fact I had two FTE on the Taurus 99 and one on the Taurus 111 with some older Winchester ammo.

The only issue I had with the Wolf was a failure of the slide to lock open after last round. Only happened once. Normal cleaning. No observed unusual residue in either pistol. Am planning on using it for practice and continuing with Silvertips for defensive needs. I know the tests. I like the silvertips.
Old March 5, 2009, 01:27 AM   #55
B. Lahey

Quote:
Cases don't "stick".
Ha! Keep shootin' that stuff, Bubba, and you will find out soon enough...
Old March 5, 2009, 02:02 AM   #56
btl55823

About two years ago my old boss and I used to shoot together, mostly on the weekends. I learned a lot from him as he was an ex-sniper. over time I ended up working off a Mini 14 ranch rifle he had. He would shoot his M1A and I would shoot the mini. When he gave me the rifle he also gave me the 2000 rounds of wolf he had ordered but hadn't received at the time. when he got it in he gave it all to me for free, and personally I haven't had one round go wrong. I personally think its a great round for the mini. I clean my mini everytime I have it and there isn't a lot of barrel dust at all. Now I've also shot PMC and that made the barrel real dirty. anyways, I'm almost out of that wolf and don't know what I'll shoot next.

anybody wanna sell theirs!!!

Also have had none of it "stick"
Old March 5, 2009, 10:56 AM   #57
rndname

Only real problems i've seen with wolf and AR's is if you dont clean the gun well, you'll run into trouble. Other than that, the ammo fucntioned just fine.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:29 AM   #58
overkill556x45

My buddies and I shoot wolf almost exclusively and have for several years now. No one has had any trouble yet. I will readily admit that Wolf .223 is NOT good for shooting anything over 200yds or so (you'll get about 2.5MOA max), and I do not hunt with it anymore. I load my own 55gr Vmax for that. I don't buy Wolf anymore because I can reload .223 much cheaper than I can buy Wolf (crazy times, eh?). I just found about 200 fresh Lake City 5.56 brass at the range last time I went--that makes reloading extra cheap.

Anyway, I still have about 750 rounds of Wolf 62gr JHP on hand that I will not hesitate to put through my M&P15 next time I get a chance. Back when I had a Bushmaster National Match (sold), I fed it 270 rounds of Wolf 62gr JHP in one afternoon and it never choked. I have a feeling that the instances of stuck cases are from folks who don't clean their chamber correctly. There also seems to be a trend of Frankenguns (homebuild ARs) choking on wolf a lot. Yes, wolf is low quality ammo. Yes, it will gunk up your chamber if you don't clean it between sessions. But I've never had a problem with it in several years and several cases of ammo. Don't want it, don't buy it.
Old March 5, 2009, 12:23 PM   #59
Bartholomew Roberts

OK, I'll just relate my own experiences since everybody seems to have their own opinion why Wolf works intermittently in ARs.

Quote:
1. Lacquered Wolf ammo melts in the chamber
I've never seen this happen. I tried to duplicate the effect by cooking lacquered steel cases in the oven at 500F and saw no lacquer melting at all. The older Wolf had a thick red neck sealant around the neck that would leave pink goo in the chamber. I think this is the origin of the "lacquer melting" but all I can say is that A) I've never seen it and B) the stuck case problem happens whether it is lacquer or polymer ammo.

Quote:
2. My rifle shoots two bazillion rounds of Wolf ammo with no cleaning and it works just fine
Maybe so. I can't say about your rifle. But I have seen stuck Wolf cases (polymer and lacquer) jam up AR15s, 5.56 AKs, and Mini-14s. I don't have the slightest idea why it happens in some rifles and not others; but it happens. I tend to believe it is a combination of the straight wall design of the 5.56 case/chamber combined with the Wolf steel not expanding the same as brass.

Quote:
3. Wolf works fine as long as you clean your chamber
There is no question you will need to clean your chamber after using Wolf; but I did a rifle class where a student had a Bushmaster M4 clone (5.56 chamber). He was using new gray, polymer-coated Wolf. He had repeated problems with stuck cases. I sat there with him and watched him clean the chamber until it was shiny, sparkly clean. Within 100 rounds of heavy, hot (but still semi-auto fire), he had another stuck case and there was hard carbon fouling in the rifle the size of the bolt lugs falling out as we cleaned it again. Same rifle shot Hornady steel cased ammo and all brass ammo 100%. Clearly, cleaning isn't the only thing going on with this problem; though it does seem to solve the problem for a lot of people.

Quote:
4. If your rifle doesn't shoot Wolf, something is wrong with the rifle
Could be. Since I don't know why some rifles can eat Wolf like candy with no problems and others can't, I couldn't say. On the other hand, if the rifle shoots every other kind of ammo (including other steel case ammo) but won't shoot Wolf, it seems to me the problem isn't the rifle. I guess that one is debateable.

Quote:
5. Wolf doesn't fragment
That is correct.
Old March 5, 2009, 05:08 PM   #60
USMCCPL81

My WASR and my mini-14 love wolf and they both eat it without a problem. Dirty powder is about the only complaint but when you reload you think that every factory powder is dirty!

- President Ronald Reagan.
Old March 5, 2009, 05:49 PM   #61
flight954

I would like to see the RockRiver warranty, and if it has the anti-Wolf steel cased ammo void of warranty. If it in fact says that, then I will not buy another RockRiver product.
Steel cased ammo is fine to shoot, yes it may be harder on the ejector and more dirty, but w/ the money I save on steel cased ranged ammo I can buy a whole lot of extra extractors.
This seems to be a classic case of another know it all firearm salesman.
Old March 5, 2009, 06:13 PM   #62
Wildalaska

Quote:
This seems to be a classic case of another know it all firearm salesman.
or just seen to many of the Wolfized .223 rifles, like the Min 14 we just did

Quote:
yes it may be harder on the ejector and more dirty, but w/ the money I save on steel cased ranged ammo I can buy a whole lot of extra extractors.
yes motor oil filtered though a coffee filter may be harder on the oil filter and more dirty, but w/ the money I save on oil I can buy a whole lot of extra oil filters...

Until my engine blows. Or my barrel. Hey I have seen that with pistol ammo.

WilditstheammowoobieAlaska ™
Old March 5, 2009, 07:48 PM   #63
DanThaMan

Thanks a lot guys... just keep in mind I was talking about Wolf in AR 15s... not Wasr or mini 14s, I don't doubt it feeds fine in those.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:39 AM   #64
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
not Wasr or mini 14s, I don't doubt it feeds fine in those.
Actually, I've seen Wolf stick in both Mini-14s and 5.56 AKs. A poster at THR named stubbicat had a good informative post on why steel cased 5.56 often has problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbicat
This is a question of compatibility: Tapered chambers shoot steel better than straight walled chambers.

If you look at the taper in the commie chambers, 7.62x54, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39, they are more extreme than the military ammo used by USA. Why is this important?

In rifles with greater taper, the forces of extraction are less than the forces required for straight wall cases using the same materials.

Brass springs back to a greater degree than does the mild steel casings. What this means is that after firing a brass case tends to release its grip on the chamber walls and shrink enough to make extraction easier (assuming normal chamber pressures).

Combine a straight walled chamber with a mild steel case (which doesn't have very much spring back) and you will *tend* to get greater resistance to extraction. These additional forces of extraction have to be absorbed by the rifle parts in some way.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:46 AM   #65
Creature

You can draw a picture for some people and they will still accuse of axe grinding or "harboring an agenda". Only their experiences count for anything in their own little world. Let them figure it out on their own.
Old March 6, 2009, 10:50 AM   #66
flight954

Quote:
Hey I have seen that with pistol ammo.
We are talking AR's or rifles not pistols. I don't recommed steel cased or aluminum cased range ammo for any hand gun. Steel cased ammo will not blow a barrel of any rifle if it is cleaned properly after your trip to the range.

Quote:
yes motor oil filtered though a coffee filter may be harder on the oil filter and more dirty, but w/ the money I save on oil I can buy a whole lot of extra oil filters...
The above quote makes no sense
Old March 6, 2009, 11:39 AM   #67
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enough, already...
Closed Thread

Tags
5.56 , ammo , river , rock , wolf