The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2001, 02:52 PM   #1
Josh

Sights for a Defensive shotgun?

I have a Remington 870 and my buddy talked me into a set of Ashley rifle night sights for it. It is open cylinder and came with rifle sights on them. Wanting night sights on it, I mentioned this to him. He is a Remington Armorer and will do the work for nothing.

I have not heard any mention of these sights and wanted to know if anyone had and what you think of them.

I was going to have a set of Tracklock ghost ring sights with a night sight on the front but he told me that they are very quick and that I would like them.

I had heard that at night once you identify the threat and it neds shot that if you have the ghost ring set up you might or might not be looking through it when you go to fire.

Any comments?
Old July 30, 2001, 04:03 PM   #2
Jhp147

this help?

Try
http://www.thefiringline.com./forums...threadid=73936
Old July 30, 2001, 04:19 PM   #3
Josh

Thanks for the info Jhp147.

I was really excited hearing what all had to say about the Ashleys until I reached the last postat:
http://www.thefiringline.com./forum...&threadid=73936

"The Ashley Outdoors express sights are very fast, but I find that they not any more accurate then a bead. For precise aiming with slugs it's hard to beat a good set of ghost rings."

If they aren't anymore good then the bead and Iwant to shoot slugs then I am screwed. I was going to have him wait but he allready started the work.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:18 PM   #4
tyro

Be not dismayed, Josh.

With all due respect to the writer of the post which has disturbed you, I now have both MMC ghost ring sights (on a 20 gauge 870) and Ashley Outdoors sights (on a 12 gauge 870). I am more accurate, as well as faster, with the AO sights than with the MMC ghost ring sights.

I wish I had AO sights, instead of the MMC ghost ring sights, on the 20 gauge. Unfortunately, I had not heard of Ashley Outdoors at the time I ordered the more expense and less satisfying MMC ghost ring sights.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Ashley Outdoors sights. Let us hear from you after you have tried them.

Last edited by tyro; July 30, 2001 at 05:55 PM.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:50 PM   #5
Josh

Thanks Tyro.

Your post helped alot.

Will post a note here later after it is finished and I take it out and fire it with slugs.
My next thing is to put a side saddle and a dedicated Surefire light system on it.
Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.