The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 6, 2015, 10:33 PM   #1
BrokenBottles

Friendly shooting comp at work

At my job were trying to organize a 1st shift vs. 2nd shift challenge. I'm pushing for a shooting competition.
We're California and the local ranges don't allow drawing from a holster but they will allow us to rapid fire at certain ranges. I came up with this for the scoring. Any input?
5 cardboard targets(silhouettes, multiple scoring zones)
1 steel stopper plate

Gun unloaded on table next to loaded mag.
At buzzer, load and engage targets in any order last round on stopper plate. When finished, unload and show clear.

1 round per target
1 round on stopper
3 strings of fire
Total times added together. Total points halved and subtracted from time in seconds.
Fastest time wins.

Ex: Time, 1:00.00 Points, 2/37=18.5 Score =41.5

I didn't want too much emphasis on speed sobe I don't know if anyone going to participate has done anything like this before.

Last edited by BrokenBottles; October 7, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old October 7, 2015, 08:56 AM   #2
1-DAB

sounds like Speed Steel Challenge. rewards speed, no accuracy.
Old October 7, 2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Don P

What's reamed? Why not get all involved in a competition match? Steel challenge would be good( not much gear needed and are usually accommodating to new shooters)
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 7, 2015, 01:55 PM   #4
BrokenBottles

hehe, those reamed were supposed to be ranges. I was typing this on my break at work and had to hurry.

There's nowhere within a 2 hour drive that has steel challenge matches. Most of the people competing in this are already complaining about how much ammo it'll use So I think talking them into paying for an actual match would be hard.
Old October 8, 2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
There's nowhere within a 2 hour drive that has steel challenge matches. Most of the people competing in this are already complaining about how much ammo it'll use So I think talking them into paying for an actual match would be hard
Traveling is always part of competition shooting. With just a few exceptions most folks are going to travel 1/2-1 hour to a match. How about car pooling to the match? I understand the ammo end of it. Reloads will help with that expense if possible and 22lr is common at the steel challenge. If you can convince them to go and try it, I'll guaranty the bug will bite them and they'll be hooked. Nothing to lose and a whole new world of shooting to gain
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.