The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2002, 05:28 PM   #1
L90814

Need 40 s&w Unique and WSF advice

I need some help from the pros... I want to duplicate the Speer 40 s&w 155 gr. load using a West Coast bullet. I believe the factory load is 1200 fps. My predicament is that I'd rather use WSF than Unique because it meters better in my Dillon SDB (I think the new Unique and WSF burn equally clean). I believe that WSF is a slower burning powder than Unique, and I should therefore be able to load to higher velocities with WSF. However, my Speer #13 manual has a maximum load of 7.5 gr. of WSF for 1090 fps and a maximum load of 8.0 gr. of Unique for 1207 fps. I don't understand how the Unique is able to be loaded with more grains for a higher velocity than WSF if the WSF has a slower burn rate. I would think that I would be able to get higher velocity with less pressure with the WSF. I would really appreciate any help and advice on whether I should try to load to 1200 fps with the WSF. It crossed my mind that Speer and Winchester are ammunition competitors and Speer may not want a Winchester product to look like the ideal choice of a powder in their manuals.
Old April 14, 2002, 05:56 PM   #2
grunewaj

L90814,

I can't help you with a particular load, but I'd go to http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ and check out the collection of loads Jeff Maass has. It's quite extensive and I'll bet there'll be something like what you're looking for.

You don't say what gun you're shooting. I'd be careful of shooting hotter loads from a gun with an unsupported chamber like a Glock. There's a lot of good information about kBs here: (sorry, I couldn't make this into a link) communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html.

Good luck,

Jim
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken