The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 19, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Coyote WT

range record

This seems like the best suited place for this question. I'm in the habit of keeping all of my targets (I just started so it's not that many) and have just started a range book. At this point really all I have is how much ammo I have sent down range in the various weapons (a 9mm pistol, .38 revolver and 91/30 rifle).

I have two questions.

First, is keeping some kind of range record useful in the log run or just obsessive?

Secondly, what information should I be tracking? Right now I'm tracking rounds fired and I was trying to track the different kinds of ammo I was using (I recently stopped doing that because I started using a lot of surplus ammo for my rifle).
Old April 19, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
kraigwy

Keeping records is critical to serious shooters. You don't need to keep targets, if you kept a score/data book, (and done right) it would have all the information from the targets recorded. Recording shots doesn't help much if you don't record your calls. (calling the shot, or remembering where the sights were lined up as you pulled the trigger). With out calling the shot, you don't know whether the recorded shot was a flier caused by the ammo, wind, rifle, etc.

Record keeping keeps track of zeros and tells you when your rifle is going south. It tells you your zeros at different positions, ranges, weather conditions etc etc.

I don't think you can record too much information, as one old coach use to say, if a fly farts as it flies by you, write it down.

I have score books from 30 years ago. Score/data books are one of the most important pieces of equipment available but much be used right. Below is an article from the AMU regarding score books, it talks about High Power Rifle but it applies to everything you shoot, rifle, pistol, small bore, air rifle, everything.

http://www.odcmp.org/0706/default.as...SAMU_DATABOOKS
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 19, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
9mm

I have a log book, all my firearms with S# numbers, jam count etc... and round count. So I know when I have a problem what the round count was.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:01 PM   #4
WWWJD

Why don't you just store a pic of each target digitally?

NRA Endowment FTW