The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2014, 03:09 PM   #51
snuffy

Here's the best bullet for .223 IF you want deep penetration AND a bullet that retains all it's weight.

Barnes 62 TSX-BT;

Classic expansion and penetration. bullet went completely through the test medium, 11", then was caught in another tube stuffed with rags.

You could hit a deer with that bullet from any angle,(if when shooting to get to the heart), and get there.

Hornady has come out with a 55 gr. GMX bullet for .223. I have a box, will do the same tests with some of those. As well as some 65 Sierra game kings that I FINALLY got after having on order for almost a year!

I did test the Nosler 60 gr. partition. It performed just like any other partiton, blew the nose off, the base penetrated---- i didn't measure or forgot, but here's the wound cavity;

I have some close ups of the bullet, PM me or ask in a post, I'll post some more pics. Gotta get to the bone bender by 3:00!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 9, 2014, 04:55 PM   #52
johnhoward

Thanks for the awesome post. It really helps. I almost ordered some 64gr Wincherster SP, but most people were recommending the Sierra 65gr gkbt.
Old December 10, 2014, 09:16 PM   #53
Barnacle Brad

Snuffy -

Nice post and photos! I didn't think lime jello would make bullets expand like that. Haha...

Seriously though, it is great to see the evidence you have collected.

I am getting more interested in the solid copper bullets, but have yet to try any. Unfortunately I don't think my 22-250 will stabilize it due to length. Perhaps there is one that will work in the 25-06.

Thanks again.
Old December 10, 2014, 11:03 PM   #54
johnhoward

Picked up a pound of Hodgdon BLC2 powder today at my local gun shop. I wanted some Varget, but could not find it anywhere. The load data for BLC2 shows it to generate the lowest pressures of any of the powders in the Hodgdon list, by a good margin.

I went through all my boxes of loading equipment and found equipment and the dies for 223 (both Lee and RCB dies). I want to start setting up a loading space in my storm cellar (a buried cargo container). I am wondering is there any reason a plastic table will not do until I can build a wooden work bench?
Old December 11, 2014, 12:05 AM   #55
Metal god

Plastic table ??? Well off the top of my head and not seeing the table it self . I'd say no only because I like my press rock solid when sizing cases . Although the 223 case is small and does not take a whole lot of torque to size it . I'd think a plastic table would need to be secured to the walls or floor when sizing .

As for your 65gr sp by Sierra . To my surprise , That bullet is not listed in my 7th ed Sierra manual for the 223 Rem bolt action . It is in the 223 ( AR15) load data though .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 11, 2014, 12:21 AM   #56
johnhoward

I only asked about the plastic table because I read something in the Lyman book that I think suggested that plastic can generate static electricity (at least I think that is what it said). It is a very sturdy table that I have my Load All mounted to and have been loading shotgun shells on. I would like to build a heavy wooden one at some point.
Old December 11, 2014, 02:34 AM   #57
snuffy

Quote:
Snuffy -

Nice post and photos! I didn't think lime jello would make bullets expand like that. Haha...

Seriously though, it is great to see the evidence you have collected.

I am getting more interested in the solid copper bullets, but have yet to try any. Unfortunately I don't think my 22-250 will stabilize it due to length. Perhaps there is one that will work in the 25-06.
BB, that expansion media is/was made by an outfit called the bullet test tube. Now defunct and out of business, I got mine from Brownells. It's actually a soft wax that can be re-melted and poured into new cardboard tubes for re-use.

Here's that Nosler partition that I also tested;

That nice round nose is actually just sitting on the partition, it was loose in the medium.

Pretty good wound cavity, but the shards of lead would be left in the meat. I hate biting into lead!

BB, the 55 grain Hornady GMX is a solid metal bullet, but not pure copper like the Barnes. The GM stands for Guilding Metal, the same stuff that copper jackets are made of. The 55 GMX is a hollow point flat based bullet to make it shorter than the Barnes or other GMX bullets that are plastic tipped and boat tailed. It should stabilize well in your 22-250.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 12, 2014, 10:54 PM   #58
Barnacle Brad

Good stuff, thanks for the info snuffy. I have a few 64gr bsb to use up before starting my next quest, but Inwill be sure to share results!