The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 6, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
oldone

G2 Contender

Has anyone had experience with the Thompson Center G2 Contender? Specially in the centerfire barrels and Cals.? I can read all about them but first hand experience can't be beat.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Pahoo

I have owned both the Contenders and the new G2's. Not really sure what you are asking but both generations are good shooters. I find the G2 trigger, not as good as the Contender but not that big of a problem. The Contender barrels will fit the newer G2's.This will not include the older Armory Alloy. The New G2's have some inproved features. As far as performance, bioth meet or exceed my expectations. Can you be more specific as to what information you are looking for. Frankly, on the smaller calibers, I prefer the look of hte old Contenders.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 6, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelin
Old May 6, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Doyle

G1 vs G2 - each has one advantage the other doesn't have. In the G1, the trigger is both smoother and user adjustable. In the G2, it is stiff and non-adjustable.

In the G2, you can lower the hammer, then recock it and shoot. In the G1, once you have lowered the hammer, you have to break open the action in order to reset the cocking mechanism before shooting.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
oldone

Thanks guys.
Does anyone have a link to the cost of the barrels in the different Cals?
I'm either a dummy or just searching in a wrong catagory.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Pahoo

Well, for starters, go to the T.C. website for what is current. Also go to Natchez or Midway or Midsouth. Just google it and see ahst you get. For used, go to Gun Broker. There are lots of folks who carry these. Don't know what caliber you might be looking at but I am getting ready to part with a .44 Rem Mag. Just need time to reinstall the open sights.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php

By the way, you might want to get this moved over to the handgun or rifle section. Just ask a mode to do it for you ...

Be Safe !!!