The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old April 28, 2009, 06:02 PM   #26
olmontanaboy

Here's a pic of the fabeled coupon book, I dressed it up with a a couple of sixguns

Old April 28, 2009, 06:17 PM   #27
scrat

WOW and im sure when i go on the internet December 15 or so i will see the same exact price. Every year we go through the same thing. The best prices from cabelas by far are right at xmas time.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:29 PM   #28
gmatov

I will only say that I bought a Pietta '58 a couple years ago from a "Grand Opening" or somesuch at a store in, I think, Wisconsin.

Poster here gave a code number, called the store, they accepted the number and sent me the revolver. At the sale price.

Bad news is that it had a big gouge in the barrel (Cap, It slipped past QC, but it was purely cosmetic.), called them, complained. They said send it back, they would replace. I asked if I could take it to W VA store, brand new? They said no problem.

Hadn't been to the store, wanted to visit it, so the 3 gallons of 2 buck gas was no biggie. Spent about 5 hours there, bought some other stuff.

They gave me a new revolver, I was allowed to take from the wrappings and inspect thoroughly, and I was happy.

Problem was, and it too was no biggie, I bought over the phone, Wisconsin store. Cabelas had no presence in PA so no sales tax. Replacement was made in W VA, and I had to pay W VA sales tax, 9 bucks or so.

They are pleasant to deal with.

As mentioned above, and as warned a year or more ago, the dollar was falling against ALL other currencies. Of COURSE the price in dollars would increase.

I'm a cheapskate. I buy them. I also buy cartridge guns, for way more, in today's dollars.

I think they are for the most part rightly priced. I DO buy on the auctions when I can get a "bargain". My Walker was, to me, a "bargain" at less than 300 for an all but "NIB" piece.

And I do not think the thing is made from "Mushy steel"! Nor are the "brassies made from "scrap brass".

The "Cap'n" thinks they should all be made from tool steel. Tool steel, HARD steel, is brittle. Holding ANY explosion calls for steel or brass with tensile strength. Stretch and recover. If it can't stretch, it will split and burst.

A bearing is hard as hell, but an impact will shatter it.

I think in the '40's or '50's, P. O. Ackley turned an ought six barrel to leave 1/16 wall over the rifling and shot the rifle to prove you did not NEED all that steel to contain even smokeless powder pressures. That is evident with our BP and even smokeless powders and 1/16 thick cylinder chamber walls.

Most of these revolvers are safe. If an arbor loosens, face it, I doubt very much that the originals, with inferior steel, EVER shot as many rounds as we lovers of BP shoot one even one weekend shoot, in a lifetime.

The only shootist I have read of who shot daily was Wild Bill Hickok, who alledgedly shot his guns every day and reloaded them. Most did not shoot regularly. Their guns did not get nearly as much excercise as ours do, today.

Even Hickok, 6 or 12 rounds per day, 42 to 84 rounds per week, is less than almost all of our posters claim, that is one or two pistols, and I don't know if he carried two as a habit.

WE are not buying junk, I don't care what the Cap'n is trying to sell.

Cheers,

George
Old April 29, 2009, 09:25 PM   #29
Arquebus

I was at the Cabela's in Post Falls, Idaho yesterday & I got talking to a guy who was buying the Rem. '58 .44 for $169 with coupon. They actually had them for a regular price of $199 in the cabinet so, technically you only save $30......still, a pretty good deal.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old April 30, 2009, 02:06 AM   #30
joelberg

Unfortunately there are no Cabelas in San Diego, otherwise I'd be picking one up this week.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:17 AM   #31
Wuchak

Cabela's will refund the difference for any item that goes on sale within 30 days of you buying it. This applies to guns too. I bought a Ruger MKIII that was on sale. They had a lower sales price the next month. I just went to the service counter with the ad for the lower price and my receipt and they gave me back the difference.

So are these Pietta's pretty good? I don't have a bp and have been thinking of getting one. At $209 with the starter kit it seems like a reasonable price to add a bp to the collection.

I see that Midway has the same gun for $264 without the starter kit.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:33 AM   #32
madcratebuilder

The Pietta is a good buy. Don't waste your money on the 'starter kit' very cheap plastic crap. You can find brass flasks and cappers real cheap on evil bay or other on line sites.
Closed Thread