The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 13, 2006, 10:26 PM   #51
18DAI

Gunrack is on HWY 66 in Kernersville. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 14, 2006, 12:59 AM   #52
parrothead2581

And they're open Tuesday - Saturday. Close At six weekdays, 2pm on Saturdays. They open at either 9 or 10am. Where on Hwy 68 is Greensboro Gun Works?
Old January 14, 2006, 12:57 PM   #53
tarheellefty

GSO gun works is just north of the airport on east side of road- IIRC, rt by a convenience store (I don't get that way too often - been couple years). It's very easy to miss, and unless he's changed the storefront you won't notice it if you aren't looking for it. I have a feeling thats how he wants it. For someone out of the way who doesn't advertise he has been mentioned to me an amazing amt of times.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:05 PM   #54
Snookay

honestly i dont see why people stress about going to dry restaurants. the whole point of CCW is to conceal your weapon. if you're not carrying a 5 pound gun you should be able to eat your food in peace without anyone knowing you have a gun. I'll carry my gun anywhere because the reason i have a gun may happen anywhere.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:18 PM   #55
WhyteP38

When I lived in NC, I thought it was worth it. I don't frequent places where alcohol is served because generally I do my drinking at home.

I do like beer with my pizza, but I rarely crave pizza anymore.

I suppose that IF I had, on occasion, gone with friends who wanted to eat at a restaurant that served alcohol, such as a steak house, I COULD have done so without any problems IF my friends had not noticed I was carrying before we went, because that would have meant my concealment was good.

Of course, that's ALL hypothetical, and I would never make such a recommendation.

However, I also believe, as others have said, that the more people who have permits, the more the crime rate drops, and the more used to the idea people get to allowing concealed carry in more places. It also gives gun-friendly politicians useful numbers for when they advance good gun laws.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:22 PM   #56
indykappa

as i sit here waiting for my CCW (march 29th was my appointment) to arrive in the mail, i have to vote YES it's worth it.

i travel quite a bit, and my indiana permit is no longer valid (because i'm now a NC resident). without a valid permit, i could not carry in alot of places between here and indianapolis
Old April 11, 2010, 09:13 PM   #57
richiep

yes get your CCW its worth it.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:15 PM   #58
Cheapshooter

Yes.
1. Better to carry where ever it is legal than not at all.
2. Show the politicians, and statisticians that you are exercising your right to carry as prescribed by the law. The more law abiding citizens that have CCW permits, the less likely anti-gun politicians are to say the law is unnecessary.
3. 31 other states will honor your NC permit.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 11, 2010, 09:18 PM   #59
Ski098

Gene - Recently applied for my CCW in Catawba. I was told by the nice lady in the office to expect 4 - 6 weeks. It's only been 3 weeks so I'll know within a month if that's the case.

Hickory seems to be dead in the water for Handguns, Reloading, and even Ammunition. I can't find ANYTHING in this town. Charlotte and Greensboro trips are getting way to frequent...

Anyplace local that I'm just... "missing?"

EDIT - Oh, and the BIGGEST reason for me to get my CCW... I travel to Michigan up I77 and through Ohio at least 2 or 3 times a year to visit family. Ohio has some crazy carry laws in your vehicle. A loaded magazine constitutes a "loaded" firearm, and they are illegal to have in your vehicle. The weapon and ammunition have to be completely separate. So only with your CCW can you get around that. And honestly I don't imagine it being very fun driving down the road, crossing the state line, and trying to flip the rounds out of a magazine... Or worse leaving the state and trying to fill that magazine back up. =p
Old April 16, 2010, 06:23 AM   #60
OhioRedHawksFan

Yes it is totally worth it. We need as many law abiding citizens represent & excerise the 2A right!
Old April 16, 2010, 07:17 AM   #61
Enoy21

It may very well happen , here in VA the Governor just signed an amendment to allow us to CC in a restaurant that serves as long as we are not drinking.
Old April 16, 2010, 09:12 AM   #62
Clay

Some people need to look at the dates on the original post.

New CC carrier here. The restaurant thing bothers me too.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #63
Triggernosis

It seems to me that it's almost less of a hassle to just open-carry in N.C.. It's not unlawful in 99% of NC to strap a pistol on your belt and go about your business most anywhere.
Old April 19, 2010, 01:13 PM   #64
Kreyzhorse

Yes, a CCW permit is worth it. Plus, as more and more people get their permits in NC, the more likely you are to see some of those restrictions lifted.

Typically naysayers predict blood in the streets to go along with the passage of CCW but when that doesn't happen, laws that were put in place out of fear (and fear mongering) will be relaxed.
Old April 19, 2010, 01:17 PM   #65
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Some people need to look at the dates on the original post.
Old post, but still good points expressed!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 19, 2010, 04:22 PM   #66
parrothead2581

Let's not forget that a NC CCW exempts you from needing a pistol purchase permit.
Old April 19, 2010, 04:35 PM   #67
milky7272

CHECK THIS OUT:http://www.carolinashootersforum.com...ad.php?t=73592

Please contact these law makers and suport the castle doctorine for N.C. it is a great bill I.M.H.O.
Old April 28, 2010, 02:22 PM   #68
Triggernosis

Can someone explain to me what the Castle Doctrine is, please?
Old April 28, 2010, 03:03 PM   #69
indykappa

castle doctrine

my understanding of the castle doctrine is that if anyone is inside of your home, then you do not have a "duty to retreat" prior to using a firearm against the intruder.

however, there appears to be differing versions of the castle doctrine. as it was explained to me in my home state of indiana, if i catch you in my home, then i can blast away.

however, in my current state of north carolina, there is a clause that says something to the effect of "if they are breaking into your home, then you can shoot" BUT "if you come home and find an intruder already in your home, then you cannot shoot unless they make a life-threatening gesture towards you"

as bass-akwards as this sounds, i asked my CCW teacher to clarify that statement, and he repeated that "if you find someone already in your home, then you can't just blast away"

i won't tell you what i think of north carolina's version of the castle doctrine, but i have a good lawyer, so...
Old April 28, 2010, 03:25 PM   #70
Triggernosis

Yes, that is a BS law if there ever was one. Wonder who's gonna tell the perp's side of the story if he's lying dead on someone's living room floor?
Old April 28, 2010, 08:05 PM   #71
nutty ned

Yeah worth it.
But, trips have to be planned well---school grounds, post office, bank, and going on base add to the other issue of a restaurant and most malls.
Even can't carry half the year in the woods if it happens to be designated game lands.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:09 PM   #72
parrothead2581

Quote:
add to the other issue of a restaurant and most malls.
Only if the restaurant serves alcohol. Most do, but there are some that don't.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:20 PM   #73
arbooner

Military CCW

Sorry to bring this back to life after a couple years. But i was looking for NC CCW and stumbled across this. This is completely off topic from what this started as. But I am military stationed in SC (however currently deployed) paying TN state taxes. Me and my wife are NC residents though and our DL still shows our NC address that we call home. I know that military has dual residency, but i am wondering if we will be able to get my NC CCW. Thanks for any and all help. I asked a couple of the class instructors and nobody was able to provide a yes or no answer. And due to being deployed, it is rather dificult to get in touch with the sheriff to ask him myself.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:54 PM   #74
Whirlwind06

Yeah it is worth it I think.
When Ohio first passed our CHL the law was pretty crazy too. Our car carry law was that the pistol had to be in a locked case in plain siight or in the holster in plain sight. Meaning we had to uncover our concealed weapon while in the car and recover when we exited the car. No carry I no places that served alcohol.

We have nibbled away at some of the more crazier bits. Car carry is much better but we still need to notify LEO when stopped. We can carry now into any unposted restaurant.

Still needs work but it is better then where we started. But I am positive that all of us that got our CHLs and supported our in state pro-carry groups gave us a voice in the state. That helped make the changes happen.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:51 PM   #75
tarheellefty

In Carolina the CCW is issued by the sheriff of the county that you live in. Meaning you have to show a drivers license with that address. I don't think there are any provisions otherwise. You are in a Catch-22 - it is not that you are not permitted to have one , but you'll have to jump through all sorts of hoops to talk any sheriff into issueing you the permit . Good luck.