The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #51
PipeSmokeMcGee

I had a VERY similar experience with my Bersa Thunder 380. Got it for my wife...when she was shopping for a gun she rented a bunch and really loved shooting this one...was a tack driver too! The rental (even after much abuse) was reliable, and like I said, she enjoyed it.

We bought one new, stripped and cleaned it, and took it to the range. Right off the bat it had problems feeding any kind of .380 FMJ we fed it. Just like, I took it to Gander Mountain, as they are listed as an Authorized Warranty Service Center. I expected them to send it off, but they said they identified the problem and did the work in house. They polished the feed ramp, did a couple other things, and gave it back.

We took it back out to the range to test, and it fed well. After 20 rounds, something else happened. Linkages came disconnected (not the common trigger one that apparently often gets disengaged), and the whole gun seized up. Needless to say, we were sick of it and had given up on the gun at this point.

I took it back to Gander Mountain, and the second time, they shipped it off to Bersa to have them fix it. When it finally returned, I got rid of the thing.

I did not really advertise my experience out of hopes that it was indeed just a lemon...I felt like I had done my homework before I bought the pistol.

Tags
bersa , jam , junk , nightmare , repair