The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1
89blazin

Newbie to forum and mettalic...question

New to the forum and so maybe this has been discussed before. I am a long time shotshell reloader and just getting into metallic. I am wanting to start reloading 9mm. I bought a Lee carbide die set, and the loading chart that came with it raises a question regarding bullets:

What is the difference between reloading:

115 gr. FMJ jacketed (copper)
115 gr. FMC (copper)
115 gr. Berry's plated (copper)

Example (from the chart)

115gr jacketed bullet 4.5 to 5.0gr of Universal.
115 gr. copper plated ... Universal not listed
115 gr. FMC not listed

Apparently a copper jacket...or plating...or whatever FMC is consider, have enough differences as to greatly affect reloading/pressures/whatever??

I noticed that some have copper surrounding the entire bullet while some do not cover the base of the bullet. I'm confused (and sometimes easily so) about what the differences are.

All insight is appreciated.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Sevens

FMJ is a jacket around all the exposed lead... on the sides, on the nose.
FMC is same thing. Some offer a "TMJ" which is FMJ and also the base of the bullet is jacketed.

Plated is not the same. Plated bullets are typically cast or swaged in to the desired shape and then electroplated with an ultra-thin layer of "jacket". They cannot be pushed to the same velocities as comparable jacketed bullets.

Best use of plated is for bullets that are cheaper than jacketed, but don't give as much airborne lead particles. They are great for indoor ranges and are much easier on the air handling system. Many/most indoor ranges won't allow you to shoot lead, so these are a good alternative.

They typically keep your bore cleaner than lead bullets and they usually cost less than jacketed bullets. Push them too fast and they'll come apart. Berry's typically recommends you don't exceed either 1000 or 1200 fps. Don't use them for magnum loads. (I'm sure some folks do...)

The difference in load data between jacketed and lead exists because of the resistance that the bullet offers in the bore and is sometimes because of the tendency for lead bullets to leave deposits in the bore when pushed too hard.

Plated bullets should be looked at as a compromise and should be loaded somewhere in between. Start with lead bullet data if you have it, or reduce some jacketed data if you don't.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Seven gave you a very good explanation. GEt a couple of reloading manuls and you can accumulate more load data. You may be able to find loads you are looking for. Also, use the powder manufacturers websites. The little insert lee gives with their dies is ok, but is only the tip of the iceberg for load data for 9mm. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 13, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
CrustyFN

Although Berry's plated have a thinner jacket they can still be loaded with jacketed data. I have loaded a lot of Berry's 115 and 124 grain bullets with jacketed data. This is from Berry's web site.
Rusty

Quote:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:26 PM   #5
89blazin

Thanks for all the good info. I have one reloading manual so far, and it doesn't get very specific about bullets. I guess the bottom line is to read what the mfgrs. recommend...too many different compositions of bullets with gaps in standardization.
Old March 14, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6
45Marlin carbine

cast slugs of good quality won't lead your bbl appreciably if kept under 1000 fps and useing a fast powder (BullsEye-Red Dot) and are good bit cheaper than Berry's.
Mike at mastercastbullets in Illinois sells a good TC-FP of 124grs. I load them for all my 'practice' 9 Para rounds and use the $$ saved to buy and load premium slugs in 1ce fired brass to set back for SHTF situations.