The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 14, 2016, 05:04 PM   #1
VADER

Choosing between glock 19 or sig p320c

Looking for opinions on each. I have been looking for a 9mm and like both of these. Mostly for home defense or cc if I get my license. Both seem to be somewhat slim with good capacity. I looked at others but they seemed too bulky or not comfortable. Haven't fired either one but will try both on Sunday as a rental.

Sig p320c
Glock 19 gen 4

If I left anything out, just let me know. I did plenty of searches, but appreciate people's input. I did want a colt commander in 45 acp but it only holds 8 rds.

Thanks
Old June 14, 2016, 05:05 PM   #2
VADER

I just realized I have been a member since 2002 with only 29 posts. I lurk a lot, and this would be my first handgun purchase
Old June 14, 2016, 06:10 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
I just realized I have been a member since 2002 with only 29 posts. I lurk a lot, and this would be my first handgun purchase
A Glock is a good standard choice.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 14, 2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Indawind

They are both fine handguns. Handle both, shoot both if you can. Pick the one you like best.

Glocks have huge aftermarket support, there is on small + there.
Old June 14, 2016, 07:08 PM   #5
SDF880

I have quite a few Glocks and several SIGS. I had to make the same choice and a good deal came along on the P320 and it followed me home. What a sweet shooter and I like how it felt overall better than my Glocks.

Flip a coin as they are both good guns!
Old June 14, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I've owned multiple of both. I like the Glock 19 as it's just a little bit smaller. For carry some people won't even notice the difference. I found I could shoot the P320 Compact better slow fire, but the Glock 19 better at speed. If I was in a profession where I was issued a pistol I'd feel comfortable with either one. Shoot them and choose the one you like best.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 14, 2016, 08:30 PM   #7
JDBerg

There really isn't a bad choice to be made between these 2 guns. I'd recommend you shoot at least 100 rounds through each of the 2 rentals and I'm predicting the P320C shoots slightly tighter groups, but let's see what happens!
Old June 14, 2016, 09:16 PM   #8
iagbarrb

The quality of Sig is further better than Glock.
But both are great guns.
Take both on your hands and see which one fits better.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:20 PM   #9
haiauphixu

Glock 19 or Sig P320

Buy a Glock, you end up with one handgun, unless you buy more later on.
Buy a Sig P320 , you end up with 1 handgun with the option to have many
variety of calibers, sizes, colors...to suite your taste.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:25 PM   #10
Slimjim9

JDBerg beat me to it. I was going to say a box through each should tell you what you need to know. One advantage with the Sig is you could get an sc frame to make it shorter for carry but still shoot the longer mags for range or SD. To do that with a Glock you'd have to start with a G26.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:35 PM   #11
Martellus

I would get a Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS. Give yourself the easy option of a red dot if you want it/need it in the future. I love mine.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:28 PM   #12
Water-Man

Both good choices. BUT.

The P320 is more accurate, has a better trigger and better sights. It is also configurable in ways the Glock is not.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:29 PM   #13
Jericho1911

Glock 19 or Sig P320C

I just went through this. Everyone here on The Firing Line has been awesome and helpful. The SIG P320 C. Won out. No doubt the Glock 19 4th gen is a super weapon. But my staff all voted on Sig. Each of us put 100 rounds through it. 124 GRAIN Blazer Brass 50 rounds. 115 grain White box Winchester USA JHPS. Flawless function. Fit great in our hands. Just great.
As the others suggested. Shoot both and handle both.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:40 PM   #14
marine6680

Both are good options.

I personally like the feel of the Sig better than the glock.

I like the Sig trigger better, and I feel the Sig is more accurate.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:53 PM   #15
L-2

Make a decision. No decision is wrong. You may end up buying all three eventually. Just choose one for your first handgun.

I've got several Glocks, which include a G19gen3 and a G19Gen4.
I've got three SIGs, but they're not the P320 model.
I've got a Colt Commander, too, among several other handguns.

It's nice to have some variety in choosing what to carry and shoot each day.
Any particular handgun could have some malfunctioning or broken part until fixed. It's nice to have a spare gun as the other one is getting fixed.

I recommend the Glock due to its ease of detail stripping and parts availability, among other things. Joining "GSSF" and attending a Glock Armorer's class is relatively easy, too, if that's of interest.

Meanwhile, save up more money and buy one or both, the SIG and Colt.
Old June 15, 2016, 05:33 AM   #16
VADER

Appreciate the help, going Sunday to try both, will keep you posted. I agree about owning a 1911, probably my favorite handgun, fits my hand perfectly.
Old June 15, 2016, 06:40 AM   #17
ROCK6

I was going to say to try both side-by-side. I to own several Sigs and Glocks (no P320 though), however, I did handle the P320 a few times and will get to shoot a friends this afternoon.

First, the trigger on the Glock takes some getting used to (if you're used to conventional triggers). The P320 trigger is more "conventional" with a smooth pull. Of course size is about the same and with the Glock Gen 4, I don't have handling issues with Glock G4 as much as the older generations. Some will complain that Sig's slide is taller than Glock, but I didn't notice as much difference as I do with my older Sigs.

Stock sights are better on the Sig, but that's a weak argument as both can be upgraded with preferred sights.

Even though both have polymer frames, the Sig's frame did seem a little better finished.

Ultimately it comes down to the best feeling pistol in the hand and on the range if you can test shoot both.

ROCK6
Old June 15, 2016, 07:01 AM   #18
rodfac

Glock 19, great support, especially if you attend any one of the Glock only competitions. Factory reps there will completely revamp your pistol with current parts, if any are found to be worn.

Parts galore if you wan to customize your pistol. Glocks may just be the most supported pistol out there.

Most of all, they've been around for long enough that the known problems all have U-tube supported fixes. Their grips, even the Gen 4 models, are blocky and a bit on the large size for small to medium hands. They work extremely well and are accurate in the three examples that I have extensive use with. Quarter sized groups are easy with 9's or .40's from the 10 yd line using a Weaver Stance.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 15, 2016, 09:44 AM   #19
Viper99

"Sig p320c
Glock 19 gen 4 "

I am going to tell what the real answer is.
You are NOT going to be comfortable getting one or the other and will eventually need to have both.

So, get either one now and the other in the future. Between these 2, there is no bad choice

Many of us started out wanting to buy just 1 good gun and many more later are still at it.
Old June 15, 2016, 02:30 PM   #20
jr24

Both good, but Glock 19 for me. I'm more used to Glocks and their triggers and handling characteristics. Went from a SIG guy and Glock hater to a Glock guy and a SIG... well, still liker?

I wouldn't be upset of a P320 wandered into my gun safe some day, I liked the P250 I had once. Everything but the looong trigger, the 320 fixes that and then some.
Old June 15, 2016, 04:10 PM   #21
dogtown tom

Quote:
iagbarrb The quality of Sig is further better than Glock.
Tell us more.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 15, 2016, 05:29 PM   #22
presspics

I'm not a Glock fan in the least..But I do own 1, a Glock 19. It truly is the best all around 9mm. Accessories are plenty and mags are inexpensive, especially if you get the Magpul mags or the ETS mags. Both mags are excellent and around $15 each.

As for the SIG P320, I've owned 3 of them and have hated every one of them. The trigger is overrated, mags are not inexpensive. It honestly does not do anything better than a stock Glock 19.
Old June 19, 2016, 09:02 AM   #23
jr24

Quote:
mags are not inexpensive
This is a good point, Sig mags are twice as expensive as Glock mags. If you're an obsessive compulsive mag collector (like me), then that can be an added expense.
Old June 19, 2016, 09:36 AM   #24
Strafer Gott

Sig 250 mags work in the 320, and are not expensive, at least around here.
Old June 19, 2016, 06:43 PM   #25
VADER

Ok, after trying both, I decided on the Sig. Both were tried by myself, wife, and daughter. They both preferred the Sig and the Glock would constantly jam with my daughter shooting it. I would chalk that up to limp wristing since she is on the thin side, but that was the major factor for me.
I did find that right away I was accurate with the Glock, so no complaints there. The Sig took a little getting used to for me to be accurate.
We all agreed that the Sig felt sturdier, maybe due to the weight, not sure, but fired with no jams for all of us.
So, no personal complaints about the Glock, just the jamming stuck in my head.
I also picked up a Ruger LCR in .22. Small caliber but something we can all shoot easily, inexpensive ammo, and I think a good backup.

Thanks for your help guys. I hope I did not offend anyone who recommended the Glock. I may still get one of these in the future.