The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 10, 2014, 09:26 PM   #51
HKFan9

I know all of us have been discussing it... because even as a right handed shooter shooting weak hand is good practice.... but people ARE AWARE there are left handed Tavor's right?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
Old June 10, 2014, 09:36 PM   #52
EMB135Driver

I too am mystified at all this talk about left handed vs. right handed. You can buy the right handed ejection one and change it to left ejection.

I have one (18 inch right ejection), and have fired it both left and right handed....haven't been hit by any brass (.223 or 5.56).

The Tavor isn't for everyone, but when the zombies come I'll be glad I have one.

30MM General Electric GAU-8A Avenger Cannon.....you don't want any of this pain :-)
Old June 10, 2014, 09:57 PM   #53
Sheriff Gotcha

The only problem I have with the Tavor is the amount of gas you get slammed in the face with while shooting. I haven't been able to get an optic for my Tavor just yet, so it could be a product of my shooting form trying to aim through the iron sights.

I haven't shot it extensively, about 200 rounds downrange between me and a couple friends. It shoots a bit low, but I figure that is a product of the high bore axis combined with no sights and a lack of experience.

All in all I absolutely LOVE my purchase! The enjoyment can only increase when I get the opportunity to buy the accessories I want for it.

Just a few items of note: It is my first rifle, it is right handed and I am right handed.

Old June 11, 2014, 06:35 AM   #54
Departed402

reply from southpaw

Quote:
I know all of us have been discussing it... because even as a right handed shooter shooting weak hand is good practice.... but people ARE AWARE there are left handed Tavor's right?
Quote:
I too am mystified at all this talk about left handed vs. right handed. You can buy the right handed ejection one and change it to left ejection.
I was aware that a Tavor could be bought/modified to eject spent casings out of the left side, but the issue is still present when shooting on my off-side, and if I were to let me right-handed friends shoot a Tavor configured for lefties then I give them the displeasure of gas and (possibly) brass hitting them. It was an issue with the Tavor that I just couldn't overcome. Now, a bottom ejecting bullpup, such as the P90 chambered in 5.56 would be a game changer.
Old June 11, 2014, 09:30 PM   #55
Justice06RR

The Tavor is a good rifle and a nice bull-pup at that. It really boils down to 2 factors: if you can afford it and if you're ok with the configuration.

I'd say in your case, go for it.

For me, the price and support would hold me back. I also do not like the fixed LOP because I need it to be longer for my frame.
A nice BCM or DD is well under the price of a Tavor, and you can probably use those savings for a SBR tax stamp.
Old June 12, 2014, 04:32 PM   #56
HKFan9

Quote:
For me, the price and support would hold me back. I also do not like the fixed LOP because I need it to be longer for my frame.
A nice BCM or DD is well under the price of a Tavor, and you can probably use those savings for a SBR tax stamp.
I certainly agree, I did not purchase a Tavor... YET... but my experience with them has been because a best friend / co worker did. However he did so and I will as well because each of us owns multiple AR's.

The Tavor is nice if you already own a quality AR... or 5 of them.. and you are looking to scratch a different itch.

Certainly a well made AR is more practical for someone starting out, however some of us just rather be different, and I am ok with them as well.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:44 PM   #57
Rico1101

The tavor is a good alternative. It is a bit pricey but is very fun to shoot and handle. The iron sights are a bit small but the tritium insert in the front post makes it easy to find where you are shooting at night. The trigger is heavy but with training you will get used to it just like the reloads. The shell casing eject at the 1 o'clock position so when I firing it in both right and left hand positions I didn't get hit in the face with casings but, I did notice that the casing get dented from the deflector so reusing the brass for reloading might cause an issue. Other than that I like the fact that I can shoot it with one hand.