The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Plumbnut

A flashlight...are you serious. I tell ya whats a great weapon and most people have no idea......its a piece of 3 wire hydraulic hose about 18" long.

I have a collection of surefire lights that are nice to blind bad guys with and one also has serrations. E2D defender. I love it.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:18 PM   #27
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
I'm not advocating that you break the law, but I have travelled through certain places that severely restrict firearms...
Actually, you are. A disassembled gun is still a gun as long as the frame is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbnut
...I tell ya whats a great weapon and most people have no idea......its a piece of 3 wire hydraulic hose about 18" long...
But before anyone considers that I recommend doing some research into state and local law. In some places clubs, bludgeons, saps and similar impact weapons are defined very broadly; and possession can, in some places, be a felony.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 8, 2013, 09:21 PM   #28
Plumbnut

True I suppose but thrown in the trunk of a car in a tool box I doubt they would have much of a case unless you jumped up and said...."Hely look at my weapon I use to hit people with officer"

But I've said before...everything is illegal if they want it to be.....until it time for court them they realize they dont have a case.

I suppose its easy to dream up a reason to arrest you but thats alot different tha convicting.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:25 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

He doesn't need FOPA to keep it stored separately in Ohio. Ohio is stupid, but not so stupid as to make handguns illegal. I'm in the Dayton area. I can watch it, but the service will cost you a box of ammo a week(that I get to shoot out of the gun)
If you put it on consignment in Ohio I am not sure FFLs would transfer it back to you since you are out of state. I think they could legally, but quite a few would not be sure how to handle the matter IMO.

You could rent a safety deposit box. Many rural banks are not posted.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:30 PM   #30
Plumbnut

You guys want to see people constitutional rights violated watch an episode of cops....

No offense intended but I would never let somebody babysit my gun. They could do anything(crimes) with that gun and hand it back to me and one day I might be on the hook for it.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:57 PM   #31
sirdiealot

how about hit a major bus stop or something like that with locked lockers. safety deposit box. or a storage facility. if the storage facility go to a goodwill store and get a bunch of clothes put them and gun in box and put them in the storage unit

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:16 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
True I suppose but thrown in the trunk of a car in a tool box I doubt they would have much of a case unless you jumped up and said...."Hely look at my weapon I use to hit people with officer"...
And you know this how? We've established in other threads that you have no actual legal training.

The thing is that whether or not there will be significant adverse legal consequences to carrying around in your car an object considered a weapon under local law will depend on unknown and unpredictable factors. And if one is detained or arrested, even if exonerated, it can cost him time and at least several thousand dollars in legal fees.

Anyone who is considering whether or not to take those sorts of risks should do some proper research and make informed decision. He should not rely on the unsupported opinions of unqualified, anonymous denizens of cyberspace.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 8, 2013, 10:24 PM   #33
Plumbnut

Law is a specialty and your no criminal defense attorney but neither of us are idiots and I know a piece of hose isnt a weapon until you use it as one or declare it as one or fashion it as one....like taping it up or putting a grip on it.

Carry a hammer in yur tool box.....whatever man. steel toes boots are an effective weapon...are those illegal?

But since I'm no attorney I' must cant know that...right?

Lets not get ridiculous with the "i'm a lawyer" bit...its getting old.

In no state is a piece of hydraulic hose in a tool box considered a freakin weapon.....you can use that on your car in a pinch.....for crying out loud.

What do you know about cars and hydraulic hose?

Last edited by Plumbnut; May 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:30 PM   #34
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Law is a specialty and your no criminal defense attorney...
And you are no kind of lawyer.

Quote:
...But since I'm no attorney I' must cant know that...right?...
You certainly don't know. You have demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about. Your opinions on legal matters are unsupported and not worth paying attention to.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:32 PM   #35
Plumbnut

What do you know about cars and hydraulic hose? Do ya think that you could possibly use that hose for a roadside repair?

Goodluck with that one.

Well I sure wouldn't want you as a lawyer if you thought the D.A. had a case wen all they had is a piece of hydraulic hose in a tool box in the trunk of a car or in the back of a pickup truck.

You'd want to plea bargin out after you built a file on me at 250 an hour?

Yeah they hve a great case against you....you had a hammer and a screw driver in your tool box and some hose.....yur going to prison. LOL

I know a business lawyer....I wouldn't dream of him offering me advise on a criminal case.

I know a divorce attorney.......he couldn't properly defend a justifiable shooting case if he had too....... just becaue your a "lawyer" doesn't mean crap.

Its like saying.....hey I'm a DR I can do open heart surgery....what kinda DR are you??.....Uh well I'm a gynaecologist. Um ok....I guess

Last edited by Plumbnut; May 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:55 PM   #36
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...What do you know about cars and hydraulic hose? Do ya think that you could possibly use that hose for a roadside repair?...
Well, it has been quite a few years since I replaced the clutch on my buddy's Datsun 510 or rebuilt a carburetor on my kitchen table. Then there was the time I replaced the power drive belt on my Alfa Romeo GTV6 in the paddock at Sears Point Raceway after I over-reved the engine throwing the belt while running some training laps. But these days, I'm not going to be doing any roadside repairs on my new Mercedes.

Anyway, whether or not that kind of story would get anyone anywhere would depend on whether the person actually could reasonably be expected to be able to do something of the sort, whether the car was one that could actually be repaired on the side of the road in that way, and whether the hose was actually of a type suitable for the job.

Quote:
...Well I sure wouldn't want you as a lawyer if you thought the D.A. had a case wen all they had is a piece of hydraulic hose in a tool box in the trunk of a car or in the back of a pickup truck...
If that's all they've got, you have no problem. But there's no guarantee that will be all they'll have. It would be a very different situation if (1) the guy with the hydraulic hose doesn't have a tool box; (2) the guy has no working knowledge of auto repair; (3) he's driving a 2013 Audi; and (4) the hose doesn't match anything on the car.

You see, you just don't understand enough about how the law works to even properly think these things through.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:02 PM   #37
Plumbnut

If the cops pulled you over and found a hammer screwdriver an some hose in a tool box.....would you tell them those are your tools or would you tell them those are your weapons?

This is getting ridiculous....if yur a lawyer then I want you to proscecute my case of I ever get arrested.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:11 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think the questions been answered. If you have any other questions, tjobrien21, please feel free to start a new thread.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:13 PM   #39
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
If the cops pulled you over and found a hammer screwdriver an some hose in a tool box.....would you tell them those are your tools or would you tell them those are your weapons?...
This isn't about carrying a hammer and screwdriver in a tool box. This is about the accountant I knew who carried the butt half of a two piece pool cue in his back seat. This is about the real estate broker buying the tire knocker at the truck stop to keep under the driver side seat of his Porsche. These are items which could be used as improvised impact weapons being kept in conditions or circumstances inconsistent with their normal, legitimate use.
Closed Thread