The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1
ethernectar

Changing Powders - RE: Static

Ok, I'm a brand new reloader and am enjoying loading my first batches. I've loaded for one rifle and am ready to switch over to another one, which requires a change of powder.

How do I get all of the old powder out of the measure? I emptied it upside down, but there's still a fair amount of powder adhered to the inside of the holding container due to static electricity.

Any tricks or tips?

m
Old June 12, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2
rwilson452

powder and static charge

If you leave it alone for a day or two it may come free. but try turning it upside down on a clean dry hard surface and tapping it. Wash it with dishwashing soap as you would the dinner dishes. I have found Joy works best. it leaves something on the surface that prevents static buildup. I have heard that those tissues that you put in the dryer that contain fabric sofener work also but i have not tried it. I never leave powder in my measure. it goes back in the "can". I NEVER repeat NEVER have more than one container of powder on the bench. I store my powder in a separate place. Pour the unused powder in the wrong container just once and you in for some seriously bad ju-ju. I shudder that the thought of having a mix of bullseye and 4895 being loaded in a 30-06 round.
Old June 13, 2005, 12:22 AM   #3
Kamicosmos

Also, periodicly wipe it out with a used dryer anti-static sheet. It really works! Especially on new equipment.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old June 13, 2005, 09:42 AM   #4
TATER

Can of Static-Guard... Spray and let dry before you ever start.
HTH.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Russ5924

Why is that some have so much trouble with static,me have never had any problem at all.On my Dillon can rub my fingers on the side of the canister and the powder will follow my finger up when I stop will fall off.But talking to some who reload the problem is quite bad using different powders will foul there press to the point of unusable.And even worse if some parts are plastic
Old June 13, 2005, 09:45 PM   #6
BigSlick

To empty a powder measure that has a build up of static, I use an aluminum funnel and a cheapo paper plate.

Pour as much as I can thru the funnel back into the original container, then turn the measure upside down on the bench onto a paper plate and work the powder bar (550B) a few times. Fold the paper plate in half and tilt up one end, the powder pours back into the container easy as pie.

One caveat, it MUST be a PAPER plate, <NOT> a styrofoam plate, like the Hefty brand.

To keep static build up from being a problem, once or twice in a blue moon, I take a drop of car wax and rub it into a paper towel. Run this all inside the powder reservoir tube (acrylic I think) and let it sit about 10 minutes to make sure it is 100% air dry.

Do this, and you won't have a static buildup again in that reservoir for a coon's age, if ever.

I also am a firm believer of only *one* powder anywhere near my bench at a time.

I like things that go bang, as long as it isn't me

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.