The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2016, 02:27 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

FYI, you can get a reprint of the original Mauser Manual (English) if you look around. I got one from Numrich (Gun Parts Corp), as well as some stripper clips. New (looking) ones are a bit spendy for a clip, used ones are dingy and a bit rusty, perhaps but can be cleaned up and are about half the cost.

Enjoy!

I nickenamed my Bolo, called it "Han" and not because is was Chinese (it was German)

Han Bolo,

and yes, Greedo shot FIRST!
Old July 12, 2016, 09:14 AM   #27
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Quote:
Grail Guns (I know I should have a Python in that list).
Insert Monty Python reference...

Molwn labe!
Old July 12, 2016, 08:08 PM   #28
tangolima

Clark, a member here, tried to figure out how lousy a broomhandle's action was by shooting insanely hot hand loads, way above max. He got pierced primers before the pistol showed signs of yielding. He opined that c96 was one of the strongest pistol actions ever made.

I am fortunate enough to own a c96, after waiting for 40 some odd years. I only shoot coated cast bullets through it, mostly because of the cost. It shares the same bullet with m1 carbine and tokarev. It shoots pretty well.

I like a heavier action spring (from Wolff). The bolt hardly slams on the bolt stop before going forward.

I managed to acquire a bolo upper for $350. I still like the normal length barrel better.

Enjoy and make sure to pick up spare parts for it whenever you see them at reasonable price. They are drying up.

-TL
Old July 12, 2016, 09:16 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

The C-96 is a strong action, but I still recommend sticking to loads that will function the action and not much more. The reasons are simple enough. The oldest Mauser actions are well over 100 years old, made with the metal and metallurgy of the late 19th century. Further, there is no guarantee that the quality, such as it was, at the time a gun was made was maintained through its long history.

I have seen a couple of Mauser C-96 pistols in which the firing pin channel ran out into the bottom of the grooves in the bottom of the bolt; one of those bolts had cracked almost all the way through, yet the owner was firing it, not being aware of the potential problem. I have seen bolts that broke, allowing the rear end to come back into the shooter's face; in one case, the lens of the user's shooting glasses was cracked, with the only the rim keeping the lens together and out of the user's eye.

So always check those old pistols, not just Mausers, before shooing them, then use the minimum load that will function the gun. And wear eye protection, always.

Jim
Old July 12, 2016, 09:49 PM   #30
Deaf Smith

Great to find a Broomhandle.

Now you can play "Charles Vine", who was...

The 2nd Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World!

(for when you are second best, you have to try a little harder.)

Deaf