The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Tmitch

Mark XVI Reloading Press

Has anyone heard of Mark XVI Reloading Press by Smart Reloader?
Old January 28, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Vance

It is a blatant cheap Chinese copy of Lee's Classic Cast single stage press. I have not heard anything good about Smart Reloader presses.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Sevens

anything splattered in that fugly yellow paint and marketed/branded "Smart Reloader" supports pure Chinese theft of American products. No joke, no two ways about it. These folks make outright copies, and poor copies at that. One of their cheap presses copied a casting flaw in the model press they copied.

Don't spend even one penny supporting these tactics. Nothing, NOTHING good will come of it.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
JUNK

The stuff is marketed by an Italian Co. and made in China . Every piece of it is a copy (poor one at that) of different American brands , caveat emptor !
Old January 29, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Sevens

My angle is two-fold. In this forum, many folks do their level best to help those new to handloading. There's a lot of different reasons that folks offer this help. For me, it's about giving back for help I've gotten in other forums. Some with guns and handloading, more so with motorcycles and other projects. But there's a big angle for me that believes being a handloader means being part of a larger group and there's a lot of advantages of being a part of this little club.

So that's one angle -- we don't want to see a new handloader handicapped by outrageously POOR equipment. It sounds like a good deal because the crap is cheaper than anything else on the market...but if you can't use it effectively, you spend MORE in the long run with absolutely inferior (and in some cases, completely NON-working) equipment.

The other angle is simple: the American companies that build the tools we use are held in very high regard. They are innovative and produce excellent products that give us a life time of service. And these items are affordable. And backed by fantastic customer service. So when I see these SOB's from "Smart Reloader" blatantly rip them off and copy their items directly, it angers me and I feel compelled to post about it.

I really wish the biggest e-tailers in our world would simply stop offering the crap and sucking new handloaders in.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Vance

Quote:
Sevens

I really wish the biggest e-tailers in our world would simply stop offering the crap and sucking new handloaders in.
And possibly losing us a potential reloader. Person could really be put off the whole reloading thing by crappy equipment.

Please, just spend the extra $20 for the Lee Classic Cast single stage. You will get a decent press that will last you your lifetime.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...8&src=exrbSrch $93.99.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Vance

I noticed that this poster also asked this same question over on cast boolits and got the same answers.