The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 2002, 10:47 PM   #1
91B40

Remington 11-87 Police reliability

Has anyone any experience of or information about the reliability of the Remington 11-87P shotgun with reduced-recoil "tactical" buckshot loads?
Old December 7, 2002, 09:41 AM   #2
Al in Md.

91B40, Mine feels a little slugish w/ reduced recoil loads. A small difference exists in the gas ststem in the 1187 Police models in that they are designed for full power loads. Although the reduced power loads cycle my action enough to operate, it does not feel positive enough for HD use. I can use them at the range, however if I was loading up for HD use I would stick with full power rounds. Last time I looked at the Rem. website the 1187P were listed as suitable for reduced power loads. However when looking at the Shotshell section of the site the reduced power loads have a note about possible failures to cycle in selfloading shotguns. I find that the reduction in recoil afforded by the gas system negates the need for reduced recoil loads. Hope this helps.
The Peoples Republic of Maryland, #1 Robbery Rate in the Nation and all we get is more gun laws.
Old December 7, 2002, 03:40 PM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Two examples I've used (older wood-stocked and "pre-scattergun") have been 100% with everything, incl. trap loads.
Old December 7, 2002, 03:47 PM   #4
buzz_knox

I've seen an SCT 1187P conversion operate well for most of a training course with tactical loads. It promptly failed with those same loads right on qualification day. Fortunately, someone using a pump had some full power loads and was more than willing to trade for the tac loads. The 1187P was flawless after that.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:07 PM   #5
Intel6

I have had my 11-87P for 2+ years now and haven't had any reliability issues when using proper ammo. I have run Fed tactical stuff through it without any problems. I mainly shoot the Federal wal mart stuff (1 1/8th oz of shot 3 dram) or my handloads that are 1 oz. of shot in a 3+ dram power level.

The only time I had a problem was when I tired some Remington reduced recoil slugs. The hulls wouldn't even eject out of the gun they were so weak.
Old December 8, 2002, 04:35 PM   #6
91B40

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the replies. I have been considering buying an 11-87P but I guess that I need a bit more convincing! Maybe I'll get another Marine Magnum and send it off to Wilson's for the Trak-Lok sights...?
Old December 8, 2002, 08:33 PM   #7
9x45

1187SP's won't run reliability on low power field loads, the $3 a box 'dust load' The gas port is designed to operate on low recoil buck or better. Heavy/fast field loads run fine. I have fired somewhere around 2,000 rounds thru mine without a problem.
Old December 9, 2002, 12:48 AM   #8
evilcat

91B40,

Why do you need more convining? The 1187-P is very reliable. Yeah...it does not handle "reduced-recoil" loads well, but no gas shutgun does. However, with gas shutguns you do not need "reduced-recoil" loads. The gas porting reduces the recoil enough that you do not need to use "reduced-recoil" loads.