The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
overthere

Stocks for Savage 12 Target Action

I would like to build a 308 Winchester rifle around the Savage 12 Target Action (right bolt, right port) for the purposes of shooting F/TR at 600 and 1000 yards.

It looks like only the target action with 4.4 inch action screw spacings is available for purchase while all the stocks from Savage except for the F-class stock uses the 3.3 inch action screw spacings.

Does anyone have any recommendations for stocks that would specifically fit the Savage target action with 4.4 inch spacings?

Ideally the stock should provide excellent accuracy and be inletted / pillared for all three action screws. I am looking to stay in the $500-$600 (or less) range. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
precision_shooter

Manners
McMillan
HS Precision

I believe they all make stocks for that action.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old December 10, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Stocks for Savage 12 Target Action

4.4" is the standard for most if not all modern Savage actions. Almost all stocks will fit it. Boyd's makes a very nice stock for an unbelievable price. EABCo sells one that's nearly identical (from appearances) but includes pillars. It's about $70 more than the Boyd's.
Old December 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
overthere

Thanks, I looked at McMillan stocks but they have a 6 month lead time.

Does anyone have experience with Choate tactical stocks? Are they good (good in the sense of providing accuracy and being good quality etc.)?
Old December 10, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I have exactly zero experience with Choate's tactical rifle stocks. I've held a couple, but never fired a rifle with one. So take the rest of this for what it's worth. I have used Choate shotgun stuff for decades, and have never had any problems whatsoever. Their shotgun stocks are just about indestructible.

I can also tell you that if you call their shop and talk to them, they're some of the nicest folks you could ever hope to deal with. We just had some fairly serious ice in Arkansas, though, so I don't know if anyone will be at the shop.

Last edited by Spats McGee; December 10, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old December 10, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I looked at the Choate stocks when I was doing my Savage build. I decided against one because they're ridiculously heavy and I don't really like the way they look. As far as function, I generally read good things.
Old December 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Polinese

I have a bell and carlson medalist on my savage and love it. Good construction, very comfortable to use.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:06 PM   #8
steveNChunter

The Bell & Carlson Medalist is a good synthetic stock with a bedding block and is a good deal at around $230 IIRC.

But for the money you can't beat a $100 Boyd's laminate stock and a bedding job IMO. I like the laminate look much better than synthetic anyway.
Old December 12, 2013, 10:40 PM   #9
overthere

I am now considering a Bell & Carlson Medalist or a Manners T2 or T4.

I would be very interested in opinions on whether the Manners is worth 2X the money (this would be for shooting 600 - 1000 yards) and also opinions on the T2 (with slanted buttstock) vs. the T4 (with straight buttstock and butthook).
Old December 12, 2013, 11:05 PM   #10
.300 Weatherby Mag

McMillan is worth the wait...
Old December 16, 2013, 10:34 PM   #11
overthere

Too many options...

Now considering to order a Manners T2 from Manners and endure the 14 week wait to get the custom inletting and fitting, and in the meantime get a Boyds stock and later transfer it to another of my other Savage rifles (or so I am telling myself to make it seem rational; will look interesting with a sporter barrel in a bull barrel profile stock)...

Has anyone used a Savage target action in a Boyds varmint thumbhole stock? Am I kidding myself thinking that might remotely be a good idea while waiting for the Manners stock?
Old December 16, 2013, 10:49 PM   #12
4runnerman

Overthere- Yes I have 2 of them, one in a 223 and one in a 308,both in Stocky stocks long range thumbhole. Never went any farther as the shoot awesome in those stocks. One in Graphite the other in Cobalt Blue
Old December 16, 2013, 11:02 PM   #13
reynolds357

Overthere, do you already own the action? If not, you can buy the rifle from Savage for less than you can get the action and stock. I was going to buy a Savage bench rest action, and my friend that was going to order it called me and asked, "do you want a complete rifle with HS precision stock for $750?" To me, Its was a no brainer that I order the complete rifle. Now I have a spare barrel laying around that I will eventually use on something. Mine is dual port.
Old December 16, 2013, 11:31 PM   #14
overthere

Reynolds, is that the 10 FCP? I do not see it in 308 for anything less than $930 (looks like the 223 can be had for less) and it does not have the target action.

The 10 FCP is a great deal, no doubt about that, but I am quite set on the target action and like the idea of custom inletting and fitting to the Manners (they bed it as well). Mainly trying to determine if it would even make sense to get a 'cheap' (as in low cost) Boyds stock in the meantime.
Old December 16, 2013, 11:46 PM   #15
reynolds357

Its the 12LRP, but Savage does not list this particular rifle on their website. It is a dual port, it is chambered in .22-250, it does not have a magazine.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:08 PM   #16
overthere

In case anyone is looking to do the same thing in the future, here is an update.

I ended up getting the Savage target action (4.4 inch action screw spacing) and a Shilen Stainless Target Select 30 inch bull barrel. I placed an order for a Manners stock but since it will take several months to complete, I also bought a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole stock.

The Boyds stock was very close to 'drop-in', I had to widen the barrel channel a bit for it to freefloat properly but the amount of material removed was very minor. I ordered action screws from Boyds along with the stock and I had to shorten the front action screw by about 3 threads.

I took the rifle to the range today for the first time. I loaded up 50 rounds of a load that has worked very well with my factory Savage 308. 155gr Noslers, 43.0 - 44.5 grain Varget in half-grain increments.

After sighting in I ended up shooting four 10-shot groups, the first two of which had barrel cleanings in the middle. The rifle shot well, I was happy with the results. It was windy (from the rear), which probably did not affect the bullet trajectory but the targets were moving a bit in the wind.

I attach a couple of pictures of the rifle in the Boyd's stock and a picture of the last two 10-round groups at 100 yards (44.0 and 44.5 gr Varget respectively).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140112_003.jpg (89.2 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140112_005.jpg (89.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140112_007.jpg (144.0 KB, 264 views)
Old January 13, 2014, 06:36 PM   #17
tobnpr

The Savage Target Action is a single shot, 3-screw action with the Target Accutrigger, and takes the large shank (magnum) barrel.

The Varmint Action (I just bought one) is a stainless action (centerfeed, 4.4") with a DBM and standard shank barrel. It has the AccuTrigger, but a different one that adjusts down to 1-1/2 lbs (as opposed to 2-1/2 lbs for the std. AccuTrigger)

I did not think any aftermarket stocks were inletted for the three-screw action.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 16, 2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Smokey Joe

Good looker, good shootin'!

Tobnpr--Nice looking rifle. Your "load that has worked very well" seems to be continuing to do so! Nice groups!

What kind of bipod is the one pictured? Looks wider and more stable than the usual "Harris type" if I may so categorize.

--Smokey Joe