The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2014, 11:23 AM   #1
40CalGuy

Alright... another CZ rarity find

I've found a CZ 75 Compact in Silver Metallic Flake Polycoat finish. Anyone have any info on these? I've never seen one in the store, listed, or even mentioned before. I'm expecting they're rather rare. Any info appreciated.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:43 PM   #2
BWM

Get on the inter net and put CZ 75 you will find all kind of them there.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:52 AM   #3
40CalGuy

That's exactly what I've been doing, but other than images on an image search, I can't find any concrete data as to the limit of the run on this configuration. I know the TS edition uses the Silver Metallic on the frame, but so far that's it.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

The silver polycoat was meant to replace the satin nickel finish. When CZ-USA announced its intended use here in the US, there was such an uproar that they apparently decided NOT to import guns with that finish.

It should be noted, this was some years ago, and the finish has been greatly improved over the years, but it wasn't all that well-liked at the time. I suspect most of us might LIKE the silver finish if it's a durable as the black polycoat.

It is (or was) apparently still available in Europe for guns sold on that side of the world.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:05 AM   #5
40CalGuy

Walt I think that makes 2 or 3 CZ related threads now that I've inquired with and you've responded on. Can I ask where you're getting this wealth of knowledge?

Is seems reasonable then that for my newly purchased CZ 75B Compact in Silver Metallic with 50 rounds down the pipe and me being the second owner that it may not be all that rare in the scheme of the number of similarly configured pistols worldwide, but as long as I stay on this side of the pond, it should enjoy relative rarity to the geographic area, correct?

This particular model appears to have a serial number range placing it's production date in 2002 (if I'm reading it correctly, pictures below). Does that sound about right for the attempted introduction of this finish (if you know)?

Old January 13, 2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Walt I think that makes 2 or 3 CZ related threads now that I've inquired with and you've responded on. Can I ask where you're getting this wealth of knowledge?
I was a senior staff member on the CZ forum for a number of years, and stayed close to what was going on, there, and in the business. Several years back, I dropped out of active participation on the forum to return to college, to work on a graduate degree while I continued working full time, with an eye to teaching when I finished the degree. I did finish my degree, retired, but I didn't return to the CZ Forum. I maintain an interest in the topic and try to keep up on news and developments related to CZs.

While I really like CZs, I have a number of other guns, including a T-series BHP, several Glocks, several SIGs, and an exceptional M&P Pro. I also have a custom AT-84s. I only have one CZ at the moment, a Satin Nickel 85 Combat, with a Kadet Kit. I have no experience with the new Omega Trigger system or the P-07 or P-09 guns; hope to remedy that shortcoming one of these days.

With regard to your questions about the silver polycoated gun:

The date sounds about right: early-mid 2000s, but you can't really date CZs by serial numbers. Look at the ejection port, and the year of production is shown in an oval above the extractor. (CZ may have discontinued that practice in the last couple of years on some models.)

If you haven't joined the CZ Forum, you should. http://www.czforumsite.info/

Go to the CZ Forum, and you'll get answers to almost any CZ-related question -- either from members there, or from CZ employees who are on call to answer questions, generally through ties to the CZ Custom Shop, the manger of which (Angus Hobdell) is a regular participant on the forum.

At one time, I had a satin nickel Compact; nice gun, but a bit heavier than I wanted for concealed carry; they didn't offer an alloy version with SAFETY back then. Here's a picture of that gun -- it's gorgeous. That's a Witness extended slide release; sold it with the gun -- wish I had kept it. Also had Meprolight night sights and Flame Ambione grips. (Hakan Pek made the grips, and someone else checkered them; don't remember who did that second step. I won them in a CZ Forum contest.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:18 PM   #7
40CalGuy

beautiful piece, and thanks for the advice, Walt. It seems like it may be common practice to turn down the lip on the mags of these compact guns for a more comfortable grip. The new acquisition, as well as the one you've shown here both exhibit this. Is that a pretty common mod with the Compact and P-01's shorter grips?

Thanks for all of the info, and the link and recommendation. I'll definitely head over there and see if I can gather up some other intel.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

People don't turn down the lip of the mag base on those mags. They come that way from the factory. If yours are straight I wouldn't try bending them, as they aren't likely to bend all that easily -- in fact, they might crack if you aren't careful. It may be that only older factory mags had that curl. I don't know if that's still a feature of newer mags.

While Mec-Gar makes most of CZ mags, now, I'm not sure whether they're doing the mags for the compact models or not. (CZ had a lot of problems with the .40 compact mags when they first brought them out, but I think that was before the CZ got Mec-Gar to make their OEM mags for most of their models.)

CZ, when it introduced the CZ-40P, used full-size mags for that model. They used the full-size mags with a spacer on the bottom. That lets you use the full-size mag without ugly or uncomfortable gap; installed, it looks and feels like the gun has an extended (full-size) grip.

You MIGHT be able to find some of those spacers at the CZ-USA store or at CZ Custom. If not, use a factory mags for carry, and if you carry a spare, make it a full-size mag.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 13, 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:39 PM   #9
dakota.potts

Those are some sweet guns! Too bad about the manual safety, though. I'll stick with my BD Police.

Now, if I could get a full size SP-01 Shadow in SA in one of those finishes for competition... would I ever need another handgun?
Old January 14, 2014, 09:50 AM   #10
40CalGuy

of course you would. don't be absurd.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:49 PM   #11
chris in va

Man, I wish CZ would come out with a P01-sized 45. Yes I know Tanfoglio has one but I just don't like them after briefly owning a full size. Love my 97b but its quite heavy for carry.

As for the baseplates, at some point CZ figured out those metal units were uncomfortable to use and came out with the rubber pads seen on the current crop of P01's. The early one I fired back in 2003 kinda turned me off to the smaller gun so I got the 75bd. I recently sold that for a new P01 and shoot it just as well if not better.

Last edited by chris in va; January 14, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:10 PM   #12
stmichps

You can purchase the Beretta polymer base plates they'll fit. I have replace several metal ones for my PCR and BD Police magazines with no problems at all.