The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 14, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Shotgun693

1875 Outlaw

I sure wish Remington would make one or have one made under license. I have a replica and really like it. I wish it had 'Remington' on the barrel. It's really heavy but a fine shooting gun.
Old January 15, 2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I wonder.....

Just how much business is done in BP revolvers.

I saw a note on Cabela's saying that a quarter million 1851 replicas had been manufactured. (I think that is right.) Don't know what they were considering as an 1851 replica but I would bet that they included pistols which do not have a historical prototype.

I recently bought a Uberti Cattleman for cap and ball and I love the blinkin thing. That is as close as I have to an Outlaw of the nature you are describing.

I am gratified that Colt saw fit to sponsor the distribution of the second and third gen releases and I am disappointed that there was not sufficient interest to sustain the projects.

If Remington would do a similar thing I would be just as gratified but also would assume the results would be the same as for the Colt project.

This is why I wonder about the BP revolver market. Would there be a market for a Colt manufactured series of BP revolvers, kind of like a Fourth Gen. Or would people buy a Remington equivalent series. I can think of at least four candidates and the 1875 is one of them.

The economy is slowly improving. People are slowly going back to work. The availability of discretionary money that people might put into BP revolvers will increase.

Remington.....Colt.....and some others....Are you reading this?
Old January 15, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
I recently bought a Uberti Cattleman for cap and ball and I love the blinkin thing. That is as close as I have to an Outlaw of the nature you are describing.
But the BP Cattleman has no historical precedent. It isn't a replica or reproduction of anything, since there was never an 1873 SAA with a percussion cap ignition.

The 1875 Outlaw, on the other hand, is a replica of an actual Remington pistol (or so I've been led to believe). And the outlaw is not cap-n-ball ... it's a cartridge revolver.
Old January 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Shotgun693

Quote:
The 1875 Outlaw, on the other hand, is a replica of an actual Remington pistol
The preferred gun of Frank James although it wasn't called an 'Outlaw'. I've handled an original but it's been years ago. My replica is in .45 Colt but if I recall correctly the originals weren't. If you goggle 1875 Remington you'll see some for sale, mostly starting about $2500.
Old January 15, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
timothy75

Remington did make a few original 1875's in 45colt i saw a 5 1/2'' on a auction site not too long ago. I too wish they'd reintroduce some of their classic revolvers since people pay 1300.00 for colt saa's.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Correct...

....The cap and ball Cattleman is the closest thing I own to an outlaw.