The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1
dolecs

hard closing bolt???

i have a brand new remington sendero SF 2 .264 and i reload my own shells, When i insert a shell into the chamber and go to close the bolt, it goes down quit hard. Any suggestions would help
Old January 20, 2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Scorch

Possibly need to bump the shoulder if you want the bolt to close easily. As long as the original rounds are fired in the rifle you are using, you should be OK. FWIW, I neck size many of my reloads, and the bolt closes hard on them.
Old January 20, 2008, 10:12 PM   #3
dolecs

what do you mean by bump the shoulder?
Old January 20, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
kkb

1) Check case length and be sure the case isn't too long.

2) Adjust your sizing die a smidge to bring the shoulder down.

Those are my guesses.
Old January 20, 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Dlr8

and make sure you bulllets are seated right... check one for marks
Old January 21, 2008, 12:15 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
what do you mean by bump the shoulder?
When full-length resizing, making sure the die touches the shoulder of the case and sets it back about .001"-.002". Don't want to set it back too much, though, so be careful.
Old January 21, 2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Horseman

You should experiment with a fired case. Start by sizing it with your die set right where it is. Now chamber that case in your rifle. It will probably close hard. Now adjust your sizing die body down 1/16 of a turn and size it again. Try to close the bolt on it now. Continue this process until the bolt closes the way you want. Just remember the tighter the case fits your chamber the better accuracy will be. I prefer on my guns to just barely feel some tension as the case chambers. Good luck.
Old January 22, 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
kingudaroad

Dolecs, I had the same problem with even new brass in my Remington VLS in 6mm rem. When full length resizing you need to screw in the die until it touches the shell holder on the upstroke, then screw the die in another 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.

This will give the press a full stretch up into the die and should cure your problem.

You don't want to have tightness problems in the field on a cold morning.
Old January 23, 2008, 12:07 AM   #9
Gbro

I always use a tight load. A dime is used between the case holder and the die in setup.
This fall my Grandson was unable to close the bolt. I had to run almost everything i had loaded to find enough that would chamber easy for him.
I will have to make some adjustments for next year.

On the flip side, When i was new to reloading I would set according to the book . I was getting very short case life, maybe 4-5 reloads and i would see cracks at the web. Now i only toss for loose primer pockets and that isn't often.
And i only load for MOA not FPS like i used to.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:16 AM   #10
thekyrifleman

Just one more thing to check...you didn't mention but are you trimming the cases..if not that will also create the situation you are describing.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Pathfinder45

I also think you need to trim your cases; maybe every time.
Old January 31, 2008, 10:46 PM   #12
mag41vance

I had the same issue, and purchased a Redding Body die and was able to resize the loaded rounds with it. They are about $23.00 at Midway and I now own one for every cartridge I load for because ammo chambering in 1 rifle dosen't always mean it chambers in another.

I just lube the cartridges that won't chamber for a particular rifle, and resize them a little at a time until they chamber. I then set the die and resize all to that length.

Great care should be taken with loaded ammo. The best method is to resize the brass so it chambers before loading a cartridge.