The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 7, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
gedenke

Dednutz Scope Mounts

As many of you know, I'm in the research phase (aka: saving $ phase) of buying a rifle. Have any of you heard of or have experience with Dednutz scope mounts? I like the idea behind the one-piece mount/rings and the price isn't bad at about $55. Is this a good product or should I just go with traditional mounts? Let me know what you all think.
Old October 10, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
jhansman

Dednutz makes an excellent mount. I have one on my Savage 12VLP and it fits like a glove, is rock solid and looks great. I am partial to one-piece mounts, and these are as good as any I've seen. MidwayUSA carries them, so if you don't like it, they will take it back with no questions.
Old October 10, 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
gedenke

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks. I figured they were good I just don't know anyone that has one. As soon as I get my new rifle I'll be getting a Dednutz to mount up the scope in.

Happy shooting!
Old October 10, 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
jhansman

You might want to check the Dednutz site to verify your rifle is supported. I almost ordered the wrong model in advance of getting my rifle. Emailing them for verification set my mind at ease.
Old October 18, 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
gedenke

Aluminum mount on Stainless rifle???

Ok, old thead, I know but I have one more question about the Dednutz mount for you "smart guys" here. I was chatting with a buddy about what I'm going to buy (rifle/scope/etc) and when I told him about the Dednutz, he immediately told me to "never mount your scope with aluminum anything". Is there some validity to this or is he talking out of his a$$?

I hate to check his story, but I've heard nothing but good about this scope mount and would like to know. We're both aircraft mechanics and I understand the whole "dissimilar metals" and "fretting corrosion" and such, so maybe one could insulate the two metals somehow? Is this necessary?
Old October 18, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6
jhansman

Definitely talking out his a$$. I had a BLK aluminum one-piece on my Marlin 917VS for over a year with no such issue, and the Dednutz on my Savage looks like it was ever meant to be there. Consult a metallurgist if you must, but if your buddie's info was anything like correct, it would be common knowledge by now.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7
gedenke

Figured as much. Although he is rather knowledgable, sometimes I think he's a little too smart for his own good.

Besides, I'm not going to let one guy's opinion change my mind, just wanted to know if there's any truth to what he said.
Old April 30, 2008, 12:44 AM   #8
mlandsmb

Aluminum mount on Stainless rifle???

If you remove all of the anodizing from the aluminum and scrub the finish on the stainless steel completely clean so both pieces can touch surfaces, then there is a slight chance of electrolysis or something like that can happen.

All this means is the two pieces eat each other up over a very very long period of time.

Don’t worry about it!
Old May 3, 2008, 09:55 AM   #9
jhansman

It's also worth considering that makers of aluminum mounts must have thought at some point that shooters would use such items on stainless actions, if for no other reason than pure aesthetics. I doubt they would market their products if they knew (or even suspected) they would damage a gun's finish.