The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
bacardisteve

270 win cup and core vs bonded

Long story short my new 270 likes to be loaded to near max with 60 gains of h4831 sc and 130gr hornady interlock bullets. The rifle wears a 26" barrel and while I haven't shot it through a chrono yet that load should be giving me 3200fps or so. I'm worried I'm gonna have a mess on my hands with standard bullets at that speed. Anybody shot a deer or similar sized animal under 100 yds with a standard bullet going that fast? Should I switch to a bonded bullet like a nosler accubond?
Old March 28, 2015, 07:48 PM   #2
hooligan1

Ive shot a half dozen deer with the 130 grain Accubond. Penetration was stellar,usually pass through and dead deer within a few yards. My handloads only pushed them around 2850-2900, but it was pinpoint accurate to 200 yds, which was my furthest shot with that load, shot a few under 80 yds, performance was stellar.

Pushing standard cup an core bullets to 3200, and taking deer with those under 100 shouldn't be a problem, Partitions would be my "go to" bullet in that situation, but the deer wont ever know what hit them...
Old March 28, 2015, 09:34 PM   #3
bacardisteve

I have no doubt the standard bullet will still kill them I'm just worried it will send lead fragments through the parts I want to eat and I will lose some meat.
Old March 29, 2015, 05:18 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

If you can stay away from the shoulder and only get little ribs, you will be good. I know they don't all walk out and pose for pictures when your trying to put a bullet through them though.

I use that same bullet along with the SST and the Nolser Solid Base. The SST I have stoked up to just over 3000 from my 22" barrel and usually only use those when I am sitting on an open pasture where shots will be longer. Up close they make a mess. The others I only have running around 2800 and even on a 50yd shot they do fine. However the accuracy is awesome out to further than most have any business shooting. My oldest grandson put one of the Solid Base's into the ear hole of a 250'ish pound hog at 255yds one morning if that gives any indication of how sweet the load is.

Thing with C&C bullets is they can be wonderful, but the average velocity range where they work the best is only around 3000fps tops. Not that they WON"T work at higher speeds but they will blow to pieces in doing so. Impact velocities of 2800 and under are usually your best bet for them.
Old March 29, 2015, 08:48 AM   #5
jmr40

My load manuals say about 3020 fps with that load from a 24" barrel. The longer 26" barrel might get you to 3050-3075, but you don't know for sure until you chronograph it. I don't think you'll be close to 3200 fps.
Old March 29, 2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Reloader270

You would for sure have instant kills with these Interlock Bullets, but you would also have to cut away a lot of meat. The Interbonds and Accubonds is the way to go with hunting. They are just as accurate, penetrates deeply and does not leave you with too much mince meat. Today I only test loads with Interlocks, but I hunt with Interbonds or I test loads with Ballistic Tips and I hunt with Accubonds.
Old March 29, 2015, 10:04 AM   #7
snuffy

I know of what you speak! By that I mean you want to eat right up to the bullet hole. Nobody wants to eat bloodshot meat! That's just what you get when a high velocity fragile cup & core bullet hits dense muscle. The Hornady interbond will minimize that effect, but there will still be shards of lead close to the hole. I loaded and shot a bunch of the H-interbonds in 139 7mm for 2 .280's and a 7mm-08. They worked much better than the interlocks or SST's.

If you want the best, consider the GMX from Hornady. It's a guilding metal expanding plastic tipped bullet that looks just like the interbond, or SST, EXCEPT for the recessed band around the front portion of the bullet. Nosler also makes one, can't think of what they call it,(oh yeah the E-tip). Neither bullet contains any lead.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 29, 2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Clark

In the past 8 years I have killed 21 big game animals.
18 with Nosler Ballistic tips
2 with Berger VLD hunting
1 Hornady SST

I love the Nos Bal Tips
I hate the VLD.

You can find lots of guys with the exact opposite experience.
Terminal ballistics is a few anecdotes with dominating out of control variables.

As bad as the info is, we still have to make choices.

So I am grabbing my Ouija board and Nosler Ballistic tips.
The guys I hunt with use partitions, for deer. They are nuts.
They think I'm nuts.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 29, 2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
Terminal ballistics is a few anecdotes with dominating out of control variables.
I'm not addressing that. I just thought it was worth repeating.

Bacardisteve,

Hodgdon's site says 60 grains of H4831 runs a 130 grain Hornady spire point at 3019 fps from a 24" test barrel. Test barrels have minimum size chambers and bores by the SAAMI standard, so they tend to be about as high in pressure and velocity as a round will go, for their barrel length. I put their load combination in QuickLOAD and adjusted the case capacity to get a velocity match from H4831 with a 24" barrel, then increased the barrel to 26" without doing anything else. The result was 3082 fps, so I expect that's about where you will be if your gun is very tight. If not, it wouldn't be unusual for it to be 50-100 fps slower.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 29, 2015, 08:29 PM   #10
hooligan1

Clark why do you not like VLD's, and I also have shot more whitetails with Btips in both 30-06, and .270 winchester.
Old March 29, 2015, 11:32 PM   #11
Clark

My experience with two 180 VLD 7mmRM kills were mule does.
Hot load, 3025 fps at close range.
Made pencil holes and did not stop them. Had to put multiple holes in each.

I have seen pics of huge bull elk taken with the same bullet at long range.. on the internet.

But at 1800 or at 3400 fps at impact, the ballistic tips get it done for me. I aim at the lungs.

Here I am, with my 21 anecdotes, like Neville Chamberlain displaying his copy of the Munich Pact.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 30, 2015, 05:24 AM   #12
hooligan1

Deleted
Old March 30, 2015, 09:22 AM   #13
603Country

I use Nosler Ballistic Tips in the 260 and 270, and like Clark, I shoot deer in the lungs. If it didn't work so darn good, I'd go to a different bullet. And don't think that my use is just a couple of deer. It's hundreds of deer. No elk. No Mulies.

If the Ballistic Tip wasn't effective, I'd probably have been using the Partition for the last few decades.