The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 14, 2007, 03:39 PM   #26
mrawesome22

O.K. I'll try to reason with you.

What's not to like about the 22-250Rem for g-hogs? It's just about perfect for that purpose.

I don't understand how you could hate any cartridge. They all have a place and the .22-250Rem reigns supreme in the varmint catagory.

Why "can't you stand it"? LOL Is it an ugly cartridge? You don't like the smell of it? LOL Did it spit on you? LOL

You're not making much sense buddy.

Last edited by mrawesome22; June 14, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 14, 2007, 06:54 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When I first got into centerfire, back in 1950, my uncle had a Gebby barrel on a Mauser action, a "Varminter". Remington made a trivial mod to this necked-down .250 Savage and brought it out as the ".22-250". Basically, the Swift and the Varminter are still the most popular high-power .22s, for all that they're older than I am.

To a great extent, it's six of one, half-dozen of the other. They'll both push 50-grain pills to around 3,800 or a tad better, and in my own experience are equally capable of tight groups. 3/8 MOA for five shots is not unreasonable.

In the FWIW department, Phil Sharpe lists a load for the .22 Savage Hi-Power: A 40-grain bullet and a bunch of 2400, for 3,900 ft/sec. Look up the introductory date of the cartridge...

, Art
Old June 14, 2007, 07:16 PM   #28
Scorch

mrawesome22-
So he doesn't like the 22-250. Big deal! More for us!!!!!
Old June 14, 2007, 07:26 PM   #29
mrawesome22

I know Scorch LOL I just don't understand how someone could "hate" a cartridge.

As Spock would say "It's highly illogical."

I like any round that goes bang when I pull the trigger
Old June 14, 2007, 11:18 PM   #30
mrawesome22

I'll get back on track to the OP.

I've been "hunting" g-hogs for a long time. It's not hard. They're not smart. I'm talking about woodchucks. As I'm sure the OP is since he's from Ohio as I am.

Set up a couple hundred yards away from the holes and wait. When they come out, shoot them. Simple as that. At 200 yards, you could do a rain dance and they'll just go about their business. It's my experience that they have poor vision.

When they do come out, they all come out. If you have a big field that has recently had it's first cut for instance, they all pop out at they same time and you have multiple targets. Once you shoot, they all go running back to their holes and 5 minutes later, they're back out like nothing happened.

No camo or sneaking is needed. Just a comfortable chair, a lot of cold beverages, a bipod, and a rifle.
Old June 15, 2007, 11:41 AM   #31
Full-choke

Okay, so obviously this has gotten blown way out of proportion. I dislike the round and that is all there is to it.

We don't need to get in a stupid tussle over it and honestly, the argument is stupid in itself. Call me a stubborn mule, but I have made up my mind and there is nothing you are going to do to change it. I have held, I have aimed and I have fired, several times over...and I still have the same feelings about it. So please, just drop it as it is not something that needs to be argued about...
Old June 16, 2007, 03:04 PM   #32
castnblast

O.K...I'm joining the war too. I love the cartridge. If you ever want to give me the 700 ADL in 22-250, I'll GLADLY take it off your hands. Maybe he's only shot factory ammo...
Old June 17, 2007, 08:39 AM   #33
Full-choke

Okay, once again, why are we arguing?!?! There is no war, there is no effort to try and persuade me of a 22-250. I don't have the money to go buy one, I wouldn't if I had the money so lay off. I have shot it, I don't like it...end of the flippin' story.

Also, go back to the original thread please, it explains a lot. I believe my words were "I have run into trouble" as well as "They are extremely smart and I can't get close enough to take a good shot." Oh, and don't forget the most important one "I DON"T HAVE A GOOD LONG DISTANCE VARMINT RIFLE!" Why are we still arguing about this? Are we that immature?

I didn't post to start a war, I'm entitled to my opinion. I posted to see if anyone had some different tactics in trying to get in to the hogs close enough to take them with my 17 HMR. So, if you don't have any advice on that, please don't complain...

Ryan