The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2015, 04:36 PM   #1
Z Hunter

300 Weatherby reloading

I'm starting to reload for my 300 Weatherby Mag. I'd like to use 165 grain bullets. Has anyone had any luck in using IMR4350 with a 300 Wby?
Old April 12, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Toddrod505

My dad always used IMR4064 for his weatherby, not sure what grain bullet or what grains of powder but he swore by his load.
Old April 12, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
rg1

IMR 4350 would be better with 150gr and lighter bullets. I've had best luck with Norma MRP or Reloder 22 with 165 and 180 grain bullets. IMR 4831 would probably be a good choice too. Your IMR 4350 will be fine with your 165 grain loads but other slower powders may be better. Just a tip to make brass last longer and safer too: Even though belted magnum cases headspace on the belt you definitely need to make it headspace on the shoulder too. You need a case gauge such as Hornady's Headspace set that works with your calipers to only push the shoulder back a couple thousandths when sizing. IF YOU DON"T your cases will stretch just in front of the belt and you WILL get a case separation after as few as 3 reloadings.
Old April 13, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Bart B.

I used 77 grains of IMR4350 under Sierra's 165 SBT's in my 300 Wby; very accurate for the 20 rounds I loaded.

Yes, full length size setting fired case shoulders back a couple thousandths. After full length sizing with a standard die, use a Willis collet die (www.larrywillis.com) to size the case body all the way to the belt squeezing down that tiny ridge on the fired case about 1/32" in front of the belt. A couple dozen reloads per belted case can be had doing this.

In the 1960's (long before the Willis die was made), people cut a belted magnum die's top off at the shoulder-body junction and its bottom off just above the belt clearance. Polished a small radius on the squared up bottom edge then used that "body die" after full length sizing belted cases. The only issue is to be sure the body taper of the die you're modifying is the same as your belted magnum case body.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old April 13, 2015, 10:47 AM   #5
rsnell

I do not load 165 grain bullets in my 300 Weatherby but I agree with Bart B. on the use of the Willis Collet die. This is an expensive die but the Weatherby brass is expensive. The Federeal 215 primer was developed for Weatherby cartridges and give me the best accuracy with 180 grain Nosler or Hornady bullets.
Old April 13, 2015, 12:44 PM   #6
F. Guffey

I was thinking the other day, it is about time a thread was started that would be perfect for L. Willis. Perfect timing.

And again I ask if there are reloaders that measure before and again after. I do, there are times I know when sizing is not going to work and there are times there is a good chance I am going to have to dig a case out of the die.

F. Guffey
Old April 13, 2015, 02:17 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

77 grains of IMR4350 is 2 full grains over max for a 165. Now.
My old Lyman book gives 4831 as the powder for the 165 grain accuracy load. Always found the accuracy load powder to be a good place to start. Usually stopped there too.
Old April 13, 2015, 04:38 PM   #8
AllenJ

Nosler Reloading Data shows IMR4350 for their 165 grain bullet but their most accurate powder tested was 4831. I used 4350 for my 300 Win Mag when I shot it and it was more than accurate enough for me, squeezing out 1" three shot groups when I did my part.

I'll second Bart's opinion on the L. Willis die. I picked one up when the brass shortage started and have been getting excellent results using it on my son's 7mm Rem Mag cases. We're at over 5 reloadings on some of his cases and as far as I'm concerned the die has already paid for itself. Using Weatherby brand brass it would pay for itself even faster.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Z Hunter

Another 300 Weatherby ?

What if I just neck size brass that has been fire formed in my gun? Will this help make the brass last longer? When I neck size for my "'06" I get greater accuracy too. Thanks for all of the feed back so far.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Bucksnort1

Z Hunter,

I've used IMR 4350 but only with 180 grain bullets and, like any 300 Weatherby 180 grain bullet, it knocks the heck out of me. I'm curious to know if you have loaded 180 grain bullets with the 4350 and if you've noticed the difference in recoil between the 180 and the 165.
Old April 17, 2015, 02:43 AM   #11
green_MTman

do what you want to do but the .300 wby is really an elk rifle.i would shoot 200 grain nosler acubonds and use retumbo or something like it.i would not recomend using anything lighter than the 180's on any .300 magnum
Old April 17, 2015, 05:08 AM   #12
old roper

I used 300Wby mostly for elk with 180gr partition,IMR-7828,Fed 215 primer. You might do better using little slower powder vs IMR-4350 which be good for lighter bullets 150gr. My new 270Wby using IMR07828ssc.
NRA Life Member
Old April 17, 2015, 08:52 AM   #13
AllenJ

Quote:
What if I just neck size brass that has been fire formed in my gun?
I'm not a big fan of that for hunting rounds but it is something you could try. In terms of belted brass I don't think it's going to help increase it's life. The Larry Willis die does that by resizing the area in front of the belt that your FL die does not. I know it's a big investment but it'll save you money and heartache in the end.
Old April 17, 2015, 11:12 AM   #14
Bucksnort1

Z Hunter, Allen J,

Hunter mentions the Larry Willis die that will size all the way to the belt. There is another manufacturer of this type of die which will resize to the belt and can be used to determine which re-sized belted magnum cases (others besides Weatherby) need the special die. The name slips my mind but as soon as I can find their business card, I will forward that information. Heck, it may be Willis. I've used this die. It works very well. Price is around $100. You can also buy a video from them for the die.
Old April 17, 2015, 12:49 PM   #15
bfoosh006

As a side note...

Be aware that the various manufacturers of rifles chambered in 300 Weatherby use very different chamber throats and leades.... True Weatherby brand rifles have long throat... the main reason is to help with the full power loads of the various Weatherby chambered rifles.

While numerous other manufacturers have a much shorter throat.

The end result is.. the shorter throats "make" higher pressures then a long throat. So be careful when trying to load max. reloading manual loads.

ALWAYS start at the minimum charge weight.

What brand rifle is yours ?

This link might explain better then me...

http://snipershide.scout.com/forums/...herby-chambers

Last edited by bfoosh006; April 17, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old April 17, 2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Bucksnort1

Z Hunter,

The Larry Willis die is Innovative Technologies. This is the die I have.

Before I learned of the Willis die, I would re-size all my cases then, without primers, bullets or powder, I would physically chamber each case in my rifle, even if the cartridge had been fired from only my rifle. I would create "go" and "no go" piles. Again, before I bought the Willis die, I had no way to completely full length size the "no go" cases down to the belt so those cases went in a storage box. With the Willis die, I can make the same determination without using the rifle.

Here is something interesting, which shows there are differences in rifles. About three years ago, when I learned of the Willis die but before using it, I performed an experiment. I took my Weatherby Mark V with two re-sized but un-charged cases to a local gun shop. I showed the gunsmith how my cases would not chamber in my rifle. He pulled a used Mark V from his rack and was able to chamber the two cases. I think I know the reason for this.
Old April 17, 2015, 02:20 PM   #17
F. Guffey

I formed 200 belted cases to a wildcat chamber. I started with 240 cases. 40 of the cases would not fit a #4 shell holder and the case was expanded ahead of the belt. I could have use a collet in a lathe to reduce the case body diameter ahead of the belt and I could have cut the extractor groove to avoid driving the cases into the shell holder.

I started on another 450 belted cases, the cases were Weatherby and R-P, again, there were cases that would not fit the shell holder and the cases were expanded ahead of the belt by .012".

I could have used a collet in a lathe, I could have cut the extractor groove. When I find cases in groups of 20 that have been hammered with heavy loads I give up on the cases.

I took 2 rifles to the range, both new, both chambered to 300 Win mag, both using the same ammo and both shot by the same shooter. One rifle shot one hole groups, the other shot patterns like a shot gun. The chamber was so ugly in the Winchester the cases required so much pressure to size the operator of the press thought the dies were going to explode.

I have BAR dies, 300 Winchester mag forming dies, neck sizing dies. Magnum belted forming dies etc.. And I have collets for the lathe. And now I am going to drive up to get 2 of the rifles, seems something has gone very wrong with one of them.

F. Guffey