The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 1, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
ff1911

New bill introduced in MN to limit mag capacity to 10

Just got word of this today, thought I would share. Basically introducing a 10 round limit for detachable mags. Possession unlawful (i.e. NO Grandfather'd mags) and would result in a felony charge if not turned in by the said deadline.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbi...l&session=ls88
Old February 1, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Magnum Mike

here is some more!
Old February 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
amathis

My advice, and that includes me who lives in a state where this crap is being considered, is if it passes, is to strongly consider moving.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
2ndsojourn

It's stupifying how these 'high capacity' magazines are so terrible, yet one of the recommendations by legislatures is dump them in other states.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
sholling

HF243 goes even further and defines an illegal high capacity magazine as anything over 7 rounds and does not allow any grandfathering of existing magazines.

Subd. 12. Large-capacity magazine. "Large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than seven rounds, or any conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which this type of device can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
It further states:
Sec. 3. PERSONS POSSESSING LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES ON EFFECTIVE DATE OF ACT; REQUIRED ACTIONS.
Any person who, on August 1, 2013, is in possession of a large-capacity magazine has 120 days to do either of the following without being subject to prosecution under Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133: (1) remove the large-capacity magazine from the state; or (2) surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction.

Last edited by sholling; February 2, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
sigmund

Quote:
surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction
I am not an attorney, but I would suggest that this would constitute an "illegal taking" of legally obtained property, and would violate the US Constitution.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7
sholling

Quote:
I am not an attorney, but I would suggest that this would constitute an "illegal taking" of legally obtained property, and would violate the US Constitution.
I agree with you but the government will claim that they gave you 120 days to sell your property out of state and recoup your property value.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
MLeake

Rather than considering moving, why not focus on preventing passage in the first place?

NRA-ILA has a tab for contacting your reps. Enter your ZIP code, and it will provide links to your Senators, Congressman, Governor, and state legislators. Use it. Repeat as necessary.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:09 PM   #9
jason_iowa

You can store them at my house in norther Iowa and come visit them whenever you like.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:11 PM   #10
KBP

New bill introduced in MN to limit mag capacity to 10

Correct me if I am wrong. The shooter in Conn. had four handguns. If the new law limiting mags to 7 rounds only were to pass, someone with four handguns of 7 rounds each would still be able to shoot 26 people with 2 extra rounds left! How is this law going to prevent the EXACT SAME THING FROM HAPPENING? The answer, it won't! This law is just punishment for law abiding citizens!
Old February 5, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
UtahHunting

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. The shooter in Conn. had four handguns. If the new law limiting mags to 7 rounds only were to pass, someone with four handguns of 7 rounds each would still be able to shoot 26 people with 2 extra rounds left! How is this law going to prevent the EXACT SAME THING FROM HAPPENING? The answer, it won't! This law is just punishment for law abiding citizens!
You are correct, it won't prevent anything and the progressives know that full and well. What it is.....is a start. Once we are limited to 7 rounds or 10 and another massacre occurs, they will go after all semi-autos including handguns. Then we will be limited to levers, bolts, and revolvers. Then they will work on taking those away. One thing the progressives have is patience. They will chip away at it a little at a time until the 2nd amendment is a thing of the past.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:56 PM   #12
alex0535

Ridiculous, it would make my Henry .22 illegal in your state.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Magnum Mike

Another thing I saw was, If your gun was lost or stolen you lose your 2nd amendment rights for life!
Guess that will keep guns off the street! Dont report your gun stolen even if you know who did it!
I saw this somewhere but NOW I CANT FIND IT!

Last edited by Magnum Mike; February 5, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:28 PM   #14
HarrySchell

Mr. Biden has already admitted publicly that his recommendations will have little impact if any on mass shootings.

Note also the murderer in CT was reported early on to have 4 handguns, and the story "evolved" into him using an EBR.

I have yet to find any explanation as to why the first guys into the building had radio traffic about handguns when "a (.223) was used".

There had to be brass all over the floor. .223 brass looks nothing at all like any normal handgun brass. The guys coming in had to see it, know the difference.

Why did the talk about pistols, then...and change to an EBR?