The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
cajun47

12 ga slug that won't break apart and penetrate much deeper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDG2i6rwjU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=7HuVkXLreWE

at 10 and 12 inch penetration those may be alright for human bad guys but i want something in 12 ga slug for something much bigger than humans.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
idek

Is there any question here or are links just being posted?

If there is a question, my answer is that the hollowed out design of foster slugs will make them more prone to flattening out.

Brenneke slugs are solid and tend to keep their shape better. Their Black Magic slugs are specifically marketed for dangerous game.

Dixie Slugs makes hard cast slugs also designed for big, nasty critters. Those are only intended for rifled barrels however.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Adamantium

Brenneke slugs are the way to go for deep penetration. They do a good job on their site to document the performance of individual loads.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/
Old June 23, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Superhouse 15

if you want extreme penetration, try the Centurian load with a .65 round ball and like 5 buckshot or so. The buck didn't do much, but the ball penetrated two buckets of packed wet newspaper laid end to end, busted the bottom of the buckets, flew downrange and broke a target holder. The ball was still round enough that I tied it into a monkey fist keychain with 550 cord. More penetration than the next closest round (and yes, 2nd place was a Brenneke slug).
Old June 24, 2012, 12:29 AM   #5
jmortimer

Nothing will out penetrate the Dixie DGS. The Brennekes will work real good The Dixie is around 30 BHN will not break apart. So hard that you have to have a full .730 bore either cylinder or fully rifled. The Brennekes will go though any choke.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
PetahW

Winchester BRI's will - they're loaded with the wasp-waisted solid slugs that BRI first marketed in the late 60's, wheich were noted for shooting clean through deer & black bear w/o any expansion.

Old June 25, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
LSnSC

Ive shot a bunch deer with the BRI's. It blows right through them and leaves a big exit wound. They shoot well out of my rifled barrels and rifled choke tubes.
Old June 25, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Dixie or Brenneke.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #9
cajun47

what about these for grizzly:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846...la=ProductDesc
Old June 27, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
jmortimer

^ If you are going with Brenneke get the Black Magic or the Special Forces. The Special Forces is harder and will penetrate farther. Either one is a beast.
Old July 2, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
cajun47

what about these:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...oducts_id/5726

good for truck engines and bears?
Old July 2, 2012, 10:39 PM   #12
jmortimer

^ The Dixie DGS is harder but the Special Forces ^ would be a good second choice especially if you do not have a .730 bore.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Me thinks you might shoot some living things with those slugs and THEN tell me about penetration.

I can complain about a lot of things with 12ga deer slugs. Penetration isn't one of them. I've seen a lot of deer get hit with a couple dozen different slug types/brands from untold distances and angles. Not one single time have I ever heard or thought "Gee, I wish a 12ga would penetrate more".

I saw a deer, shot with standard velocity 1oz, Federal rifled slugs, that was sharply angled away from the shooter. He was going for a typical vital shot but hit right maybe 6 inches (the deer facing his left). The slug entered the rear ham and was recovered where it stopped, inside the skin on the opposite side FRONT leg after BREAKING the front shoulder.

Yeah, 12ga slugs do not have penetration issues.
Old July 5, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
shortwave

Quote:
I can complain about a lot of things with 12ga deer slugs. Penetration isn't one of them.
Have used Rem. sluggers on deer for some 35+ years and have never had an issue with penetration. Just recently(couple years ago) switched to Brenneke K.O.'s but not for penetration issue's. They just seem to fly a smidgen better out of my particular shotgun ....and these days, I need all the help I can get.