The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 4, 2013, 02:41 AM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
CUBAN REDNECK posted
I would go somewhere else. Obviously these clowns aren't business people and refuse to accept you as a legit customer.
I'm assuming this is a sarcastic post, but the lack of any smiley faces almost tricked me into thinking it was serious...
Old June 4, 2013, 03:48 AM   #27
shaunpain

I've seen this at a local shop I sometimes go to and have purchased from before (Shore Galleries in the Chicagoland area... I recommend them for small stock but great prices!). Reading the posts about this issue cleared up a lot of questions I had as well! I think, however, that here it's because there is so much patchwork in the law that selling an AR-15 in Cook County is just too risky unless they are LEO. All that aside...

I fully understand that he couldn't sell it to you (it was marked as such), for whatever reason, and that must be respected. What doesn't settle with me is that he had no reason to give and was unwilling to do more research into the fact. He didn't even offer to order one for you? For what it's worth, if he is unwilling to take your money, take the hint. I'm seeing the exact same gun you want on Gunbroker for around the same price and even less. Can you imagine the look on his manager's face when he's told about his idiot employee let $700 walk out the door? I don't expect all people to understand sales (as I am in the profession), but come on? Are you mental?!? You would've walked out of the store without the money if I were the boss!
Old June 4, 2013, 03:51 AM   #28
Justice06RR

Quote:
I have a great aversion to bureaucratic nonsense and have been known to revert to sarcasm when I confront it (or them). I would ask the owner if he has a camera handy, and if so would he take a photo of my face because today will be the LAST TIME he sees me in his place of business, and then stroll on out the door.
I sometimes wonder if the world will end due to stupid people in positions of power or if Political Correctness will be our final nail-in-the-coffin. Nuff Said.
A little on the extreme end to react this way, when some LGS are required to sell those firearms to LE only.

I doubt they could do much about it or they will be breaking manufacturer contract on that firearm (if they have one).

Why not just have the lgs order you another one at regular price?
Old June 4, 2013, 06:27 AM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss
No one else is bothered that LEO's are provided a gratuity/discount that is not available to the general public?
Not one bit.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:47 AM   #30
Corrections Cop

Quote:
No one else is bothered that LEO's are provided a gratuity/discount that is not available to the general public?
Not at all, its just like veterans and senior discounts.

Some of you seem mad that their are LE only firearms. I don't know why you get made you can buy the same gun just not at the LE price.

Its almost like calling up General Dynamics and ordering a Abrams Tank, because the military has them, you should too. Some departments make you buy your own firearms, so why not get them at a discount. Plus that's the way Glock has it and its not going to change.
Old June 4, 2013, 03:22 PM   #31
dogtown tom

Quote:
shaunpain ....I'm seeing the exact same gun you want on Gunbroker for around the same price and even less. Can you imagine the look on his manager's face when he's told about his idiot employee let $700 walk out the door?....
OP did not mention the price on that Blue Lable Glock, he just said he had $700 in his pocket.

Typically Blue Label G17's go for $398-425

You aren't seeing Blue Label Glocks on gunbroker, just Glocks.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 4, 2013, 04:12 PM   #32
Noreaster

No. Glock also makes the discount available to fireman and military. It's a private company they could make a discount for pizza delivery people, it's their business who cares!
Old June 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #33
MLeake

The "Glock" the OP was talking about was an FNX-45...
Old June 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #34
weblance

I understand the LE discount now. I never knew there was such a thing. The shop employee didnt explain it very well, and possibly didnt even know how it works. It is a simple matter though. They didnt offer to order me one, though Im sure that wouldnt have been a problem if I would have asked.

I was able to purchase an FNX-45, from a dealer, who ironically is LE. I paid $679, and its an excellent pistol. For the record, I have no problem with LE getting a discount on the tools they need for their job. These guys and gals put their life on the line everyday. Hell yes, they should get a discount. They should get their tools FREE.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Dragline45

Quote:
Not one bit. Officers who have families may not have a ton of disposable income, if certain gun companies offer their guns to officers at discounted prices more power to them. It could be the difference between an officer being able to purchase a quality backup or off duty gun and not. They willingly put themselves in harms way, they should have reasonable access to all the tools they need. Alot of companies like S&W also offer discounts to military and veterans which I also agree with, anyone who goes to war for this country deserves a few benefits here and there.
Old June 5, 2013, 12:44 AM   #36
JimmyR

I will say this. One the LGS's I frequent has a seperate business for LEO sales (keeps people confused). The entire operation used to be Kieslers, until Orion Arms bought the public sales end, leaving the LEO operation as is. Now, they share the same building, and the one guy than manages their LEO sales also handles regular customers as well, but they keep their LEO section well isolated in a totally seperate case. Obviously the LGS did not do a very good job of communicating that to the OP until after he was ready to make a purchase, and this is something that could be easily corrected- even if it's just a small sign stating that these certain weapons are reserved for LEO/Gov't purchase only.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:06 AM   #37
wayneinFL

As others have said, I think the shop could have done better in explaining the program.

As for the motivation to sell to the gov't at a discount- the manufacturers do this for a couple of reasons.

1. Quantity discount. If a law enforcement agency wants to adopt a sidearm, it will be buying more than if the OP adopts that same sidearm.

2. If a military or law enforcement agency adopts the manufacturer's firearm, it gives the brand credibility in the civilian market. People will even buy ugly, blocky, plastic combat tupperware, if the cops buy them. As a matter of fact, it was one of Glock's biggest selling points.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:32 AM   #38
Gaerek

I don't know what the big deal is. Certain manufacturers give retailers a discounted price to sell some guns (that were purchased at a lower price) at a discounted price to those that meet the qualifications. In order to participate in the program, the retailer has to follow the rules of the program. If they don't, the companies that offer this special pricing will simply stop allowing those retailers to participate.

The same people who are mad about this kind of program are the same people who get upset because of Military discounts. Want the special pricing or the gun? Do something to get you qualified. I know Glock's blue label program applies to retired and current LE, and military, as well as paramedics, firefighters and EMTs. If I'm not mistaken, Glock armorers are allowed to purchase one gun a year under the program as well.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:44 PM   #39
Texshooter

Not the dealer's fault.

I don't have a problem if they developed a program for combat vets to get a special deal, but any LEO labeled pistols should actually cost more than what any average American has to pay.

Contact the manufacturers.

As witnessed by the excess $50 million the IRS had to play with, the government has plenty of money.

It is the honest taxpaying citizens who are in need of a price break.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:53 PM   #40
colbad

You are correct that the only diference if the LE price. However, that is all regulated by FN and if the LGS does not follow the FN guidance they will not get more. This is no different than the Sig or Glock LE program. The mfgrs designate certain FAs as LE and deep cut the price.
Old June 10, 2013, 12:16 AM   #41
Jim243

Quote:
Somewhat, but not a lot. If it was for a rooky just out of the academy, I would say fine give him the discount, but for a 10 year veteran on the force, I would say foul he should pay the same price as me for a personal weapon. Departments don't generally buy their firearms from a local gun store, not large departments.

Most advantage for a LE is that there is no waiting period to pick up a handgun, they can purchase and walk out the store as soon as the proper paperwork is finished.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 09:43 AM   #42
Theohazard

Quote:
Most advantage for a LE is that there is no waiting period to pick up a handgun, they can purchase and walk out the store as soon as the proper paperwork is finished.
Not in Washington State. Here, the only way to avoid the state waiting period on handguns is to have a Concealed Pistol License. Well, most cops here don't have CPLs; they don't need one to carry concealed, so most don't bother to get one. But that means when they buy a handgun they have to go through the waiting period. Stupid, huh?
Old June 10, 2013, 09:02 PM   #43
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
That doesnt apply where I live. There is no waiting period. Fill out paperwork, 5-10 minute background check, pay, leave store with new purchase.
Old June 10, 2013, 09:42 PM   #44
TennJed

Quote:
How many states have waiting periods? The 2 I have lived in (MS, TN) have no waiting period. Everyone wake out with the gun in 10 minutes
Old June 10, 2013, 10:12 PM   #45
craZivn

Wisconsin has a 48-hour waiting period for handguns. Rifles are just a background check and out-the-door.
Old June 11, 2013, 07:49 PM   #46
Hundy

My Story

I know in here in California it comes down to magazine capacity. Myself and all other non Law Enforcement types are restricted to 10 rounds or less. There are also firearms you can buy in other states and not California. Firearms in California have to be certified to be sold in California. The state actually has a list of firearms that make the list.
My co-workers and I are full time Firefighters (normally I would not even mention that, but it does relate to the story).
One of my co-workers went to buy a Glock 40cal exact model I forget may have been 23. Because he was not law enforcement they sold one to him, but they took $60.00 off the price and took away both magazines. It took him 2 months to find 2 10 round magazines for his Glock.
So a month after that, a station down the street from mine, got a flier from Glock on the Blue Label program. So 2 Firefighters from that station and 1 from mine go to the participating store and order Glocks.
I did not, I was afraid of getting a firearm with no magazines. So they pay 100% up front and have to wait. About a month or two later they are told they may or may not get magazines, but the store would make price adjustments if necessary. 2 months after that, they are told to come in and they will be refunded 100% of their money.
Turns out the Glocks on the blue label program are made in Austria, not assembled in GA. Same glock, just different manufacture point.
Those Glocks are not California Legal, only because it does not have the Symra GA on it, It only says Austria. Those have not been California approved. It all comes down to a stupid engraved stamp.
So that whole process took about 4 months. Now is that true about the Symra GA vs Austria? I am not sure, but that is what they were told by the Gun store they did the order at.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:25 PM   #47
Kev

I have zero issues paying an extra 100 bucks more than a LEO.
Have you seen some of the starting salaries some of these kids are expected to live on?
And being in a sales manager position for a 100mm corporation. If a distributor of mine violated a distribution agreement (LGS/LEO program) I would cut them off as a distributor, they loose $$$ and secondary traffic in their store for one regular joe to buy into the program? For sure they wouldn't risk it.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:23 PM   #48
RsqVet

Sounds like someone really failed the OP at explaining WHY it is that they could not sell the gun to him. I can't in all honesty say I might not have been miffed as well, and I have purchased a glock through the blue label program. Most shops I know that may stock LE guns do so subtly or without much fanfare so that they do not tick off those who do not qualify for the discount. It is all in the care, or lack there of that the customer gets.

As this thread proves there is a fair bit of myth and misunderstanding involved in all of this.

Another example of this is the Remington police shotguns; talk to a shop that does not have a relationship with a distributor that carries them and they are verboten, rare, special or whatever. Talk to a shop that does and they ask you how many you want to buy unless it's one under 18 inches in which case you have to do NFA paper on it. And there are plenty of people in shops, gun shows or on the street that will INSIST that the police guns are somehow harder to get or restricted.

What is even funnier is the fact some will insist that the blue label glocks are somehow better....

Oh and Zero problem here with cops getting a discount on their gear. Guess what.. your vet gets their dog food at a discount, your mechanic likely gets his tools cheaper than you or I and when was the last time anyone in congress paid for a meal on their own? The list goes on. Anyone on the list of canidates for the glock program deserves it in my opinion.

Last edited by RsqVet; June 14, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:37 PM   #49
CarbineKid

The LEOs around here make some serious $$. With OT and details they can easily make 6 figures. I look at the discounts as just another benefit. What I don't understand is why firefighters get a discount. I'm pretty sure a glock will not put out a fire
Old June 18, 2013, 12:32 AM   #50
Hundy

Good question

Good Question. Yes they don't put out fires, most firefighters do not carry. The discount was not from the store, it was directly from Glock. It specified Police, Fire and Vets. The sales rep brought the information to a station. Why, they include firefighters I don't know. All I know is that was directly from Glock. I did not take advantage of it, the 2 that did in the long run got nothing. Due to the firearms not being certified in California.