The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1
SCcdp

X-Sizer vs Small Base Die

I've been reloading for a long time, but I've just recently started to seriously reload for my AR's and M1A's. I haven't had a problem with the standard dies loading for the M1A but the AR is looking like it may be more difficult.

In y'all's opinion which would would suit me better the small base dies or the x-sizer? Or do they both address different issues? Do they make a small base x-sizer? I've looked but can't seem to find one if it does exist.

I've searched old posts for any enlightenment but can't seem to answer this question. Could someone with more experience reloading for the gas guns shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Matt
Old May 12, 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
mongoose33

They address different issues.

Small base dies give you a slightly more forgiving form factor, something that matters if you are loading for a bunch of different guns w/ differently-sized chambers (some loose, some tight).

I load for several ARs, and I've had a lot of success w/ the Small Base dies.

The X-Die, on the other hand, is a different beastie. It comes in a small base version (which I bought), but it's major claim to fame--and it's a major claim--is that you can shoot and resize repeatedly without trimming the cases.

Yes, that's correct--it constrains the lengthening that's normal when the neck is resized, and which requires trimming, deburring and chamfering (my three least favorite reloading activities).

I'm up to 9 reloads on a batch of .223 ammo prepared in the X-die. No trimming yet.

If you go this route, you'll want to keep your X-die-prepared cases separate from non-X-die-prepared cases.

I'm in the midst of an experiment right now to see how many loads I can get from one set of brass. As I said, I'm up to 9 reloads, but this last time I lost three cases to neck splits. I have, IIRC, 34 of the original 40 remaining. Lost three, and then there are the 3 that split.

I suspect this next batch might see a few more splits, but it'll be fun to have shot 'em 10 times w/ no trimming. And maybe more.

One interesting thing about the X-die is that it enables one to load on a progressive as one might load handgun rounds. To do that, you need an RCBS lube die in addition to the X-die. The lube die has a decapping pin in it, so it goes in station 1 of my LnLAP. Station two is the X-Die, then you have the powder drop and bullet seating and crimp if wanted.

I haven't done the whole process (it's only 37 cases!), but I've used the lube die in conjunction w/ the X-die just to validate that part of the process. And it works.

Here's a video on Youtube that shows the progressive operation, in this case using an RCBS press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqPJJinDr8Q

Finally, I bought several hundred LC brass, new, with annealed necks. I'll try some experimenting with them to see if I get even more life out of the cases. Obviously, that's a long-term experiment.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Locoweed

Doesn't the X-Die require that all cases receive an initial trimming before use?
Old May 12, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
steve4102

Quote:
Doesn't the X-Die require that all cases receive an initial trimming before use?
Yes.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
SCcdp

Mongoose - thanks for the informative response! I think the small base x-die is the way I'm going to go for both the .223 and the .308.