The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 3, 2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Prof Young

Saving the world from Zombie Mosquitos

Forum Followers:

Took my five year old grandson out to shoot the Cricket. We learned the first two rules 1) Always treat the gun like it's loaded and 2) Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. He knew those really well by the time we were done. We covered more "rules" but I wanted him to "learn" those two as a start. Reward for learning rules well was lunch at DQ.

Turns out the Cricket is too big for him, and forget the scope. He just couldn't figure out aiming through the scope so we took the scope off. Using the scope mount base as the rear sight he was able to hit the tartet a couple times. We kept the target close, about 12 feet and it was a fun splatter target. See attached photo.

I think it may be a winter project to make a new stock for the Cricket that is shorter. I don't want to cut down the one that came with it. It's synthetic so that wouldn't be practical anyway.

We didn't go to a public range, but out to a buddy's farm where I have a place he let's me shoot. We only shot 22 shorts and wore our ear muffs and safety glasses.

All in all we saved the world from Zombie Mosquitos, Jackson had an okay first experience and I learned a few things in the process. Good times.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacksoncricket.jpg (38.2 KB, 89 views)
Old August 3, 2014, 05:38 PM   #2
D-Ric902

Awesome
Start them out right
Old August 3, 2014, 06:49 PM   #3
psalm7

Working on the same thing with my Grandson . I had him shooting a Marlin papoose it is to big for him I'm going to get him a cricket .
Old August 5, 2014, 09:45 PM   #4
10-96

Great story- sounds like ya'll had a wonderful time.

I really was straining my brain to figger out how you were going to work "Zombie Mosquitos" into a firearm related post!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:05 AM   #5
MtnCreek

A good way to finish off the day is to let him shoot a couple coke cans with rat shot.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Unlicensed Dremel

That's awesome. But if the blissninnies find this thread... oh the horror they will find in children possessing guns!
Old August 7, 2014, 12:55 PM   #7
dieselbeef

i let my 7 yr old satart shooting his cricket using something to help hold up the front. i used a cpl noodles zip tied and a notch in the top. anything like bags or a balled up coat in a plastic bag
it will still let him do it and hit more accurately w/o getting too carried away and making it too short for next yr