The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

thinking about another snubbie...

I'm both partial to revolvers, & to snubbies...

I currently have many antique double action & single action, a couple modern single actions... but looking at my modern double actions, I see a definite hole... I have no 38 / 357 modern double action snubbie... I have a 6 shot 32 H&R Mag Air Weight J frame, then my snubbies take a jump to .429 caliber... so a 38 / 357 is in order

I'm not short of 357's I have both Ruger & S&W 4" barrels, & a couple Ruger Vaqueros in 357... but I don't have anything specifically chambered in 38 Special ( even though I have 1,000's of 38 Special cartridges / cases, as I use them for CAS, for the MRS )

so I'm thinking something of good quality, light weight, safe for +P self defense loads... I do like hammers on my snubbies, but would consider a shrouded hammer... I admittedly don't have many Colts, but don't want to spend "too much" & want something shootable / carryable... though it doesn't have to be my "everyday" carry BTW... I tend to like "metal" guns... the newer p-lastic revolvers are tempting from a novel point of view, but I guess I's still prefer steel, stainless, or alloy metal

so in those constraints, what brand / model numbers would be something you all would like to have... keep in mind, that it has to be something, that I'm actually able to find, & afford once I do... used is fine, & in a lot of cases preferred... maybe priced normally somewhere between $400 - $600 ???
Old October 18, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
BigJimP

S&W made the K frame ...model 19's ( blued or nickel ) and the model 66's ( stainless ) ....in 2 1/2" barrels ( both .357 mag )...

$ 500 - $ 600 ....might buy you either of the above / especially if they have a little bit of holster wear..../ but are in very good mechanical condition. There are a lot of them around ....I see several every time I go to the bigger gunshows ( especially the model 66's )....

The 686's ( stainless ) S&W in .357 mag ...is a hair bigger ( its an L frame ) but I would at least keep a look out for a 686 as well.
----------
All 3 are very solid guns...
----------
Personally, while I have a 2 1/2" in both a model 19 and 66 ....I much prefer them in a 4" ...and if I carry a revolver, carrying the 4" vs the 2 1/2" is no big deal. The issue for me, is the length of the sight plane - and I just the shoot the 4" much better ...especially beyond 15 Feet or so ...

I'd just rather have the .357 mag over a .38 spl / but you'll find some very inexpensive S&W revolvers in .38 spl ( like the model 10's ) good solid guns as well, if that's what you want - or the S&W model 36's, etc...

The airweights to me....are just too light / to shoot effectively...and the smallest I can go, is a K frame to fit my hands...J frames are just too small for me to shoot effectively.
Old October 18, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Darmog

Ruger SP101 2" or 3" barrel sounds like something you might like.
Old October 18, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Ferretboy

I have a 3" S&W Model 36, its a great gun. I use it for CC its a good shooter, single actions real touchy.
Old October 18, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
weblance

S&W 638. 38+P, Shrouded/exposed hammer, Alloy frame, stainless cylinder & barrel, lightweight, $369, new. Mine is perfectly sighted at 10 yards, and very accurate. Anytime someone asks if a snub is accurate, I let them shoot the 638.
I think the 638 is the perfect snubby. The best of the best.

Old October 18, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

Magnum...

Take your pick!

From the top..

Ruger SP101 2 1/4 inch .357 with Eagle Secret Service stocks.
S&W 66 2 1/2 .357 also with Eagle Secret Service stocks.
3 inch Ruger GP100 .357 with older Ruger stocks
S&W 60 .38 Spl with Eagle Secret Service stocks.
S&W 686 2 1/2 .357 with ebony Eagle Secret Service stocks
S&W 64 2 inch .38 with Eagle Secret Service stocks
Ruger Speed Six .357 with Eagle Secret Service stocks
S&W 640 .38 Spl.2 inch with Eagle Secret Service stocks
Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 inch with Eagle Secret Service stocks
S&W 65 'Ladysmith' 3 inch .357 with Rogers grips.

Any of these above will do to ride the river with.

Deaf
Old October 18, 2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Deaf Smith, you crack me up!

I smile every time you "circulate" this pic (pun intended).
Old October 18, 2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Obambulate

I think the search is over. The 6-shot AirWeight .32 you already own is possibly the perfect carry revolver. You can equal the power of a good .38 defensive load, with less recoil, and you get an extra shot. Buffalo Bore makes some effective ammo in .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W Long.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

I want a Smith 649. I would load it with 38+P, but I want that extra 1/4" of barrel length, the underlug, and that little extra mass associated with it being a .357.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:12 PM   #10
PawPaw

The Model 38 is in my pocket right now, and goes with me everywhere that a bigger pistol can't go. It's my everyday, everywhere carry piece, to the point where sometimes I strap on a belt holster, get where I'm going and realize I'm carrying the belt piece AND the Model 38. I consider it the perfect carry pistol.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 18, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Deaf Smith

Nick,

I think I'll drag out 20 of 'em next time.

I'm a firm believer in being able to shoot and not worry about which shoot'en iron one has at the moment.

I keep seeing all these 'which is best' or '9mm .vs. .45/.40/.357/etc' debates but I have found it's the range time and training one does that matters so much more than 'snubby .vs. wondernine'.

I guess it's so much easier to just buy equipment than take time to get the skill.

I could get through the night with any of those photoed above. And it wouldn't even scare me if all I could find was .38 Spl. 130 gr FMJ Wal-Mart stuff.

Deaf
Old October 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
engineer88

Weblance beat me to it. The 638 is my go to carry when I am doing anything active and cannot carry anything heavy. Mine sports a Crimson Trace LG405 grip on it and I think it is about as perfect a carry gun as you could ask for. All the talk about snub accuracy makes me nuts. I can hit a B27 in the head ten times out of ten at 7 yards and go ten for ten on the body at 15 in double action. That is draw shoot and put one on it in a couple of seconds or less. What more do ya need for social work? If you like em dark, Smith even has the 438 or you could go full spur with the 637.

The 638 fits your criteria best, but I wouldn't fault ya for going with an SP101 or model 60, 66, 10, etc. I would dearly love to get a model 12 myself. One of the fellas on the board keeps posting his pic of that old beauty and they are rarer than hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.

That all said if it ain't for carry (or maybe even if it is depending on how you like to do so) I have an old 64-5 that may be the finest dedicated 38 special revolver ever made in my opinion. It is bar none the most accurate handgun I have ever fired, even with only a 4" barrel. I would highly recommend one to any revolver lover and they can be had fairly cheap too.

Other than that, the security/speed/etc sixes from Ruger can be had in your range as well.
Old October 20, 2013, 11:39 PM   #13
gunnerk19

I've had this since last year, never had a problem with it. Taurus 2" 605. I keep it fed with 125 gr. Remington Golden Saber .38 +P JHP's.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #14
cdbeagle

Colt Detective Special.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

I'm not in the market for a snubbie, but if I were, it'd be the Smith 640 (I think it is). It's a hidden-hammer DA only .357. I would feed it +P's though. I just like the little extra mass that the .357 part brings, underlug, etc.
Old October 23, 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
I've had this since last year, never had a problem with it. Taurus 2" 605. I keep it fed with 125 gr. Remington Golden Saber .38 +P JHP's.
Double Plus Good.

I've had one since 2005. Never a problem that I wasn't the cause of. At the time it was an impulse purchase, when I got tired of my FFL not being able to find an LCP. Glad I did.

I do prefer an Uncle Mike's Combat or Boot grip, over the stock one, and my 158 grain .38 Special (slightly +P) handloads over anything else.

"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 24, 2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Waspinator

I really, really like the Ruger SP101 2.25", spurred, I picked up a while ago. It is a very solid feeling gun, is very accurate, soaks up recoil very well and conceals like it wasn't even there (I carry appendix in a low ride holster.. can't even tell its there and it is very comfortable).

The other gun I was very interested in, but at the time I couldn't find any anywhere, was the Smith and Wesson Model 640 Pro. This is most certainly more expensive then the SP101, but I really like the features. J-frame .357 mag, enclosed hammer, no lock , cut for moon clips, fluted barrel and 3-dot night sights. It really does read like the perfect carry .357 on paper, that is for sure.

Here is an example.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=372596895
Old October 26, 2013, 10:57 PM   #18
vmr357

Keep an eye for a M19 or M66. They are great little guns.