The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 1, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
springfree36

Enfield" MK VI 1925 455 Caliber S/N Frame A4043

I am new to this site.. but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the value of this gun... I found it in my grandfathers basement.. I do know that it hasnt been converted .. whatever that means.. Please any help would be greatly appreciated... will send pics if anyone wants them.. ill try to post some here... thanks in advance
Old December 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #2
springfree36

pics of the gun I found

Webley Pictures
Old December 1, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Spring,

Your link wasn't working (it appears that you pasted the link twice into the link box) so I rearranged it so that it would work.

It appears that your Grandfather's gun has been plated, gold hammer and possibly brushed nickel on the body of the gun.

That really hurts collector's value.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 1, 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
springfree36

Hello,
Really.. I dont know what that all means but can u tell me an approximate value of it this way.. as it sits...
Old December 1, 2011, 06:01 PM   #5
springfree36

btw, thank you for rearranging the site so the pics would show up..
Old December 1, 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Spring,

The guns were originally blued, essentially chemical rusted to give them a very deep blue to almost black surface appearance.

In military service they were never nickle plated, and never had gold plating on the hammers/triggers.

That was done years after it was made. It was, however, obviously done carefully because the stampings on it are still nice and crisp.

Value, I simply don't know. I'd say at least $200, but not nearly as much as one in original condition would bring.

As far as the "unconverted" statement you made earlier, after WWII, when many of these guns were brought to the United States, ammunition for them, a British round called the .455, simply wasn't available.

To make these guns shootable, the cylinders were modified so that they could be used with American ammunition that fired a similarly sized cartridge and bullet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.