The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1
kyemtfire

Need info on JP sauer & sohn revolver

I recently got a revolver in a trade. The guy didn't know anything about it, just that it was his dad's. He didn't seem to much into worrying about the sentimental value. I have found revolvers similar to this one on the internet but they all say "western marshal" or something like that. This one does not.

Here are the markings on the gun:

left side of barrel:
"J.P. SAUER & SOHN MADE IN GERMANY"
"HA"

Than there are some symbols, the first looks the same as the second, both look to be an eagle or some type of bird with its wings spread above the letter "N". Then the third is hard to describe, it looks like the comic book symbol for an explosion, I don't really know any other way to describe it.

Right side of barrel:
".22 L.r."

Right side of frame:

it looks like a seal with "ORIGINAL SAUER & SOHN" around the outside, this is towards the grips

towards the barrel underneath the cylinder "HAWES FIREARMS CO LOS ANGELES, CALIF."

the only marking I could find that resembles a serial number is underneath the grips it says "B 64"

It's the style of revolver with the flip out cylinder for loading/reloading, has wood grips that look original with the "ORIGINAL SAUER & SOHN" seal inbedded in them.

The gun is in overall good condition, everything seems to work properly, it came with a holster that I am pretty sure was not originally with the gun as it has the smith and wesson symbol stamped into the backside along with
"B 21 36"

I am wondering if there is any value to this gun, and the year range of its production. Or any information at all.

Any info would be very helpful
Old November 21, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The assorted little symbols are German proof marks, found on all guns made in Germany.
Hawes was the Sauer revolver importer in the 1960s and early 1970s, which is about as close as I know to date your gun.

Their guns with swing out cylinder are an external copy of Smith and Wesson "K" frame revolvers, but are quite different internally.
I think it is of good quality but not real valuable.

Tags
germany , hawes , revolver , sauer , sohn