The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 4, 2000, 10:30 PM   #1
Long Path

Back in Thanksgiving, I visited my friend Art Eatman, nestled somewhere in the desert mountains of Terlingua, TX, in the Big Bend area. I hunted with Art, and never even knocked the safety off on my rifle while looking for mule deer with him. I finally shot a single large blue quail (which my wife received well!). But I in no way felt like I went home empty-handed-- No-sir! Merely to walk through that high desert country is a marvelous experience that you take with you when you leave. Pictures? Well.... I sort of... lost my camera. !

Art found it under the seat of his pickup a day later, and sent it back to me. He mentioned that he'd gone ahead and finished the roll. When I went to pick up the prints today at Winn Dixie, the girl at the counter offered me a free 8"X10" if I would allow them to display Art's picture of the view out his back door for a few days. Sure...

Views like this are part of why I hunt...

Thank you so much Art. You're an enviable man!

--Matt.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old February 4, 2000, 11:06 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, shuckin's!

Sunrise is a wonderful time of day!

, Art
Old February 7, 2000, 12:55 PM   #3
Joey

We've been to Big Bend once and really loved it. Someday some how some way we'll be back.

You'd be suprized how many Texans have no idea that Big Bend even exisits, let alone where it is

Beautiful picture.
Old February 7, 2000, 02:58 PM   #4
LoneStar

Viva Terlingua!!

Nice Picture
Old February 7, 2000, 04:05 PM   #5
*Cag

Long Path, I'm from Miami and I hunted in Terlingua, about three years ago. What a beautiful place! Fell in love with that high dessert right away. I'll never forget that we stopped to get a bite to eat and some nice lady said to us "Fellas you forgot one spot right here" referring to a spot without any dirt! Everything rocky, and everything thorny. We bagged a muley, about five Javelinas, and I bagged an Aoudad, in Agua Fria Mountain. I also took some great pictures. Stayed at the lodge. Can't wait to back maybe next year. It's good to hear someone talking about Terlingua. Best of luck....Cag
Old February 7, 2000, 07:19 PM   #6
ckurts

I lived in Alpine (although I'm sure it's still too big and crowded for Art ) for almost 9 years out of the 20 I've lived here in my adopted home state. I sure miss that country. Sometime I'm gonna say heck with making a living and just move back.
Old February 8, 2000, 08:11 AM   #7
Long Path

All right, now, I didn't mean to be the Terlingua travel-council ring leader! Poor Art's gonna hate me if I start a new land rush in S. Brewster Co. (Read: 3 guys go to the tax office in one day!
Old February 8, 2000, 10:57 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I wish some of you guys would come out and hunt aoudad and mountain lions. That's year-round hunting...

I'm told by the wildlife folks that aoudad are territorial about areas around water, which is bad for the mule deer. Mountain lions are bad for the mule deer. Coyotes are bad for mule deer fawns.

Freeze a bunch of leftover steak scraps and fish; bring some bulk catnip; and set out the bait on a full-moon afternoon...Ya never know who's gonna show up for dinner that evening...

, Art