The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 5, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
davmckinney

Can anyone help identify this rifle?

It was handed down from my German Grandfather. It's a small caliber single shot bolt action with some markings I've been unable to track down. Any help is appreciated!

Old September 5, 2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Scorch

The Gewehr 1891 was the last variation on the 1888 Commission rifle. It incorporated improvements for feeding from strippers IIRC. It is similar to the Argentine 1891 rifle. Your has been modified to be a single shot, from what you say, not uncommon before WW1 for rifles used for hunting.

What is it chambered for? That would be a wild guess. You will have to have the chamber cast and determine what the chambering is from Cartridges Of The World or a similar reference. There were a nmber of fairly popular (at that time) small-bore cartridges it could be chambered for.
Old September 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
tater134

You have a heavily modified Gew 91. This is what it would have looked like originally.

Old September 5, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The gun pictured by tater134 is the carbine version with the flattened (so-called "butterknife") bolt handle. The rifle (Gewehr or Gew.) had a longer barrel and straight bolt handle with a round knob.

As Scorch says, those ex-military rifles were often converted to hunting rifles, sometimes with enough alterations that their origin is barely recognizable.

Jim
Old September 5, 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

Scorch, the Argentine 1891 was a Mauser design, the Gew 91 was part of the '88 series and is not.
As for this Gew 91, if (and that's a big if) it's still in it's original caliber it would be in 8x57 I (with the smaller .318 barrel).
Old September 5, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
davmckinney

That's fascinating. Thanks for all the info!
Old September 5, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I swear that looks like the stock from a remington.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 5, 2012, 05:21 PM   #8
davmckinney

One more question...

Is the proof mark standard for this rifle, and are the letters JB under crown or something else? Does anyone know what the proof would signify?
Old September 5, 2012, 05:39 PM   #9
mapsjanhere

That's not a proof mark but a military acceptance stamp. Proof marks weren't introduced until 1892, so it's unclear if your rifle has any. I would take the barrel out of the stock and look underneath. I would also take off that scope mount on the front of the receiver, it covers the area where you would usually see markings.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:13 PM   #10
tater134

The Gew 91 and the 1891 Mauser are two entirely different rifles. Look at the photos and compare them to an 1891 Mauser and you'll see what I mean. The Gew 91 was only produced in a carbine version. The Gew 91 is basically a Kar 88 with a stacking hook added and was intended for artillery and transportation units.