The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 8, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Stripeknight

My First AR (Lower) Build

I picked up my shiny new lower and just got the rest of the parts in the mail and finished building my first AR lower today. It was a ton of fun! It's an L.A.R. lower and the upper kit should be here soon hopefully.

What do you guys think:
Old January 8, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Powderman

Yeah, baby.

Looks like someone's rockin' the Magpul accessories. Looks niiiiice!

Here's a suggestion...if you get the chance, order and install the Rock River Arms 2 stage match trigger. It's too sweet for words.

You might also take a look at Stark pistol grips for the AR. I just did a lower build myself; the Stark gives a really nice feel to the lower; and that trigger is to die for. Unfortunately, the upper it is mated to--a stock Armalite full length--isn't the most accurate in the world.

My next step will probably be to install a better barrel, with a low profile gas block.

EDIT: Hey, just noticed. You might have beat me to it, but make sure that your castle nut (holding the receiver extension/buffer tube) is on nice and tight.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Marquezj16

Nice job. What's the plan for the upper?
Old January 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
BigJerm79

Good stuff Stripeknight!! Can't wait to get mine started. Only in the planning stages right now though...gotta let all this crap die down before I get down to the nitty gritty.

Powderman-Checked out those Stark grips and I am SOLD!! I had yet to see a grip that was "exciting" to me. They WILL be going on my gun. Thanks for the lowdown on those

J
Old January 11, 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
globemaster3

+1 on the RRA 2 stage. I am converting all of my ARs to it.

There are other nice triggers out there besides RRA's, I just can't afford them!
Old January 11, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Mausermolt

as soon as i get back to the states (hopefully all the foolishness has gone away) im going to start a lower myself. whats the pre-insanity price tag of this one?
Old January 11, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7
droptrd

+2 on the RRA 2 NM trigger. All mine are now sporting them. I just recieved my 1st CTR stock. I love it. 98% wiggle free! Nicer operation than my MOE stocks.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Stripeknight

Hey guys sorry for not responding for few days, I paid double for the stripped lower reciever but normal prices for everything else, I've already got all the parts to completely build a bolt carier group and a stripped upper in hand. I'm looking for a high grade barrel but have a backup complete upper from Del-Ton already purchased as a backup.

I also will be picking up a new complete Noveske AR tomorrow I was lucky enough to get at normal prices
Old January 12, 2013, 03:14 AM   #9
Stripeknight

Here is an update shot, it's a billet upper, way more heavy duty than normal. Look how beefy the forward assist is!! Beastly

Last edited by Stripeknight; January 12, 2013 at 03:31 AM.