The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 29, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
kst8fan

Red Dot for a mini 14

Im looking to put a Red Dot on my mini 14. I haved read a lot reviews on Bushnells Trophy MP Red Dot and it seems like it would be a good scope. Anyone have any thoughts or expierence with these scopes?
Old January 1, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2
sholling

Minis are notoriously hard on optics. I can't tell you what will hold up to it but I'd say stick with something small that will mount as low as possible.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:58 AM   #3
VTRich

I have a Burris Fastfire on a Mini-30 and it has held up fine.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have a Millett SP-2 on mine , been on it for about 10 years , no problems . You refered to the red dot as a scope , most have no magnifaction , so if you need to bring things closer , no dice . Aimpoints are nice , if you want to spend that kind of money !
Old January 1, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5
hodaka

I have an older, 182 series, Mini. The worst thing I ever did was to put a 3x9 Leopold on it. It magnified the inaccuracy. When using the iron sights I never realized that it was relatively inaccurate. It now has a Tasco ProPoint and I believe that is perfect for the capabilities of the rifle matched with my old eyes.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
DE Shooter

I had one on a Saiga AK clone; used a Belarus made QR mount. The Bushnell never failed over 1K rounds; it did it's job. BUT, for extended shooting it sure got heavy. I think the red dot alone is near 1lb. With a full 30rnd mag, it was well balanced, but on a near empty mag it was too top heavy for me. Maybe a Mini 14 would do better. My next red dot attempt will be an hallograph type, maybe.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Red Dot for a mini 14
Sounds like a fair trade. Send me the Mini, I'll send the red dot.

JK. Yes, the Bushnell Trophy red dot is a good one.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:57 PM   #8
sholling

Quote:
I have an older, 182 series, Mini. The worst thing I ever did was to put a 3x9 Leopold on it. It magnified the inaccuracy. When using the iron sights I never realized that it was relatively inaccurate. It now has a Tasco ProPoint and I believe that is perfect for the capabilities of the rifle matched with my old eyes.
The inaccuracy is fixable with an Accu-Strut and a trigger job but I really like a reliable 1-3x scope on a Mini. It give you a true 1x at the low end and enough magnification to reach out to the Mini's limits.