The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
confederatemule

factory crimp die

I have a Lee carbide three die set .32 S&W, and a Lee carbide three die set .38 S&W.
Do I need a Lee factory crimp die?

I am going to try my hand at reloading, because of these two calibers.

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Mule
Old November 10, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Jim243

Quote:
I have a Lee carbide three die set .32 S&W, and a Lee carbide three die set .38 S&W.
Do I need a Lee factory crimp die?
No you do not. You can use the bullet seating die to set the mouth to the correct dimentions, just don't over flair the mouth with the powder through die.

Jim
Old November 10, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
wncchester

No, you don't.

Seems a lot of people think Lee's FCD for handguns must be, or may be, a good universal crimper (and it really is I suppose) but it's specifically made to prevent a specific problem - overly large rounds that won't chamber reliably. If you have no such trouble it's not needed.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Jeff H

Quote:
No you do not. You can use the bullet seating die to set the mouth to the correct dimentions, just don't over flair the mouth with the powder through die.
+1

crimping with the seating die works just fine.

With those calibers, you probably are using lead bullets. The FCD has been accused of post sizing lead bullets that cause leading of the barrel.

I use mostly lead bullets in most pistol calibers and don't use the FCD on any of them anymore. I don't have leading issues either. YMMV.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:47 PM   #5
603Country

I recently asked about the same question you did. I had bought the 4 die set, with FCD. It was a long discussion. I finally got around to actually using the FCD, and found that it really isn't necessary for loading pistol ammo. You can adjust your crimp with the FCD if you feel the need, and it's great for that, but you really do not need an FCD for your ammo loading. If, however, you are a competitive shooter and picky about your reloads, you might want to use it. But, if you are using the first 3 dies properly, you won't need that FCD.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
If, however, you are a competitive shooter and picky about your reloads, you might want to use it.
This comment is for semi-auto pistol loads.

Whenever FCD discussion takes place, some will post this ... So, do you think match shooters like Todd Jarrett, Rob Leatham, Dave Sevigny, Max Michel, Doug Koenig, Julie Goloski, Jessie Abbate, etc. use FCD?

I don't think so.

When I started USPSA match shooting 16 years ago, my reloading mentor who shot Bullseye matches told me to set aside the FCD and produce my match loads with just the 3 dies. In all the years of match shooting, not aware of any local/regional match shooters who used the FCD for their match loads (and quite a few of them used Lee dies).

If some match shooters are using FCD to make their match loads more reliable, I wonder what they are doing with the 3 dies to make their rounds less reliable?
Old November 11, 2011, 07:42 AM   #7
PawPaw

On the other hand, I use the FCD for every round of pistol ammo I produce. I've been reloading for two decades and yes, I know how to set-up a pistol die and how to crimp withe the seating die.

Many times I won't even have the crimp stem in the die, I'm simply using it as a post-sizing tool, much like a Wilson chamber gage.

If you're getting leading in your pistol ammo, look to your lead hardness and bullet lube. Sure, size is important, but the bullet must be able to chamber and I'm not convinced that the FCD swages the bullet. The bullet must first fit into the brass, and the cartridge has to fit the chamber. Many times when I run a cartridge into the FCD, I won't even feel it touch.

It's an extra step that I take, it's probably not necessary, and I certainly won't criticize anyone who doesn't use one, but I've made it part of my routine.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 11, 2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Don P

Personally I use the FCD on all my reloads. IMO its a must for semi-auto reloads. So far I have yet to have feeding problems in my semi-autos due to crimping issues.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:12 AM   #9
wingman

I've been reloading over 40 years and use the crimp die since it's introduction, will 3 dies work for sure but overall I believe I get a more consistent reloads seating with the 3th die and slight crimp with the lee fcd. Personally for me it works try with 3 to begin with and if your comfortable with results OK, point is go with what works for you.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:57 AM   #10
jepp2

Whenever a discussion comes up on the FCD you will get the responses like you have seen here.

But let me give you a slightly different viewpoint. I always get the FCD when I buy a Lee die set, when it is available. Not all sets offer them. It is the most economical time to buy it.

I don't use it for the 4'th step in my loading process as others have discussed. I use the 40 S&W as my bulge buster die. By pressing the entire case through the die, it removes the step the sizer die cannot.

For rimmed cartridges I use the FCD for my full length sizing die prior to loading. Then I adjust my normal carbide sizing die to just size the upper 1/2 of the case. This way I don't get the step where the carbide sizing die stops just above the rim of the case. And I get the same neck tension. Redding just introduced a carbide sizing die with 2 carbide rings to accomplish the same feat. But the price is kinda steep. I accomplish the same results with an extra step.
Old November 11, 2011, 10:08 AM   #11
BDS-THR

jepp, very good post. I even emailed Lee Precision if they could offer FCD with removable carbide sizer like in their old speed die. Apparently, Lee does offer the service of enlarging the carbide sizer ring for a few dollars so it won't post size larger diameter bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw
On the other hand, I use the FCD for every round of pistol ammo I produce. I've been reloading for two decades and yes, I know how to set-up a pistol die and how to crimp withe the seating die.
So, if you are able to properly set up the dies without the FCD (either using single seat/crimp die or separate seat and crimp dies) to produce rounds that will work, what extra things are you doing with the FCD? For some that wanted to seat and crimp separately without post sizing have knocked the carbide sizing ring out.

Quote:
I'm not convinced that the FCD swages the bullet.
Many will disagree, especially when using larger sized lead bullets as carbide sizing ring will maintain the same OD of the case.
Old November 11, 2011, 10:25 AM   #12
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-THR
So, if you are able to properly set up the dies without the FCD (either using single seat/crimp die or separate seat and crimp dies
The FCD comes in the set. Why would I want to purchase a separate crimp die when Lee so thoughtfully provides one? It's already right there.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm not saying that everyone else is wrong, I'm just saying that I skin it differently than some other folks.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 11, 2011, 11:30 AM   #13
spacecoast

I always use mine. Setting up the seating die for both seating depth and proper crimping for a variety of bullets is one more thing I would just rather not worry about.
Old November 12, 2011, 11:25 PM   #14
bbqncigars

So far, the only rounds I use the FCD on are the 25-20WCF and 38-55. The former round is notorious for the relative fragility of the neck. The Lee FCD saved my brass for the little round. YMMV, etc.
Old November 13, 2011, 02:50 AM   #15
Hammerhead

For handgun calibers, no, you don't.

I do like the Lee crimp die for 30-30 though.
Old November 13, 2011, 03:56 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

No FCD needed.

But... don't seat and crimp at the same time, in your seating die. Use two separate operations, or you'll run into problems. (Seat everything; then come back, re-adjust the die, and crimp everything.)
Old November 13, 2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Shotgun693

For more years than I can remember I've used a tapper crimp on all my handgun loads. I put the tapper crimp die as the fourth die in my Dillon Press. All I know is that it works for me.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:34 PM   #18
jbrown13

I agree that it is not necessary.

Checking Lee's site, it doesn't even exist for 32 S&W and 38 S&W, so I guess Lee agrees also.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Lee-Ca...ory-Crimp-Die/
Old November 14, 2011, 06:06 AM   #19
spacecoast

Quote:
But... don't seat and crimp at the same time, in your seating die. Use two separate operations, or you'll run into problems. (Seat everything; then come back, re-adjust the die, and crimp everything.)
This is what I did with .38/.357 before getting the proper sleeve for my FCD (for probably the first year of reloading) and it worked fine.
Old November 14, 2011, 06:40 PM   #20
CrustyFN

Quote:
So, if you are able to properly set up the dies without the FCD (either using single seat/crimp die or separate seat and crimp dies) to produce rounds that will work, what extra things are you doing with the FCD? For some that wanted to seat and crimp separately without post sizing have knocked the carbide sizing ring out.
I am using the FCD to crimp of course but I am also using it as a case gauge. Any round that gets post sized gets set to the side for inspection. In five years and thousands of rounds loaded I have only had two rounds get post sized. Both rounds were FMJ bullets in 9mm. I have never had a lead bullet in 45 auto or any other get post sized.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:30 PM   #21
hounddawg

call me anal but I always use it on magnum loads and for my bottom feeders.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:12 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

I load alot of 32 & 38 S&W, & use alot of Factory Crimp Dies... but don't think I've ever needed one on either of the listed cartridges...

if you are using a "big" cast bullet that bulges the case enough that it doesn't chamber... I had this problem before on a caliber that I didn't have a Factory Crimp Die, & I just removed the decapping pin, & used my sizing die to smooth out the bulge... & later bought a Factory Crimp Die...

thanks to knowledgable forum members here I learned that the Lee pistol caliber & rifle caliber Factory Crimp Dies are not the same... the rifle dies use a Collet ( which I really like for extra firm crimps on hard kicking tube magazine rifles, etc. )... on my cowboy loads I run all my pistol cartridges through through a factory crimp die, to make sure case sides are smooth, crimps are tight on my lever gun cartridges, & to insure my spent cases drop out easily ( my early Montados have short ejector rods, which don't fully push out the case ) I find after running them through the factory crimp dies, the empties fall out easier...
Old November 15, 2011, 04:20 PM   #23
hornetguy

So... for pistol calibers, a Lee Factory Crimp Die is basically a taper-crimp die?

I swear, I was going nuts, wondering how you sized a whole rifle case to smooth out bumps in a FCD..
The only ones I've ever used were rifle FCD's, the collet style, that only crimp at most about 1/8" of the case mouth. They are activated by the shell holder, and only operate in the last 1/8" or so of ram upward travel.

The purpose was supposed to be a better crimp than a "roll" crimp, for cartridges that undergo some battering in use, like in lever actions, or autoloaders. I have NEVER heard of any problems with a FCD causing leading when using cast bullets... If you really crimp as heavily as you possible can with a rifle FCD, the worst you will do is put about a 1/8" groove into the mid to upper part of the bullet. How this could cause leading is beyond me...
I use it exclusively in my 45-70 loads that shoot into 2" at 100yds with no leading. Guess I must be doing something wrong.
Old November 15, 2011, 07:49 PM   #24
steve1147

I don't use the Lee FCD on my revolver rounds, if one doesn't chamber comfortably, it's EASY to put it aside.
HOWEVER......For my auto's, I run each and every round through, it re-sizes as well as crimps, and once you get it set-up for your round and your gun, well, I haven't had a jam or any failures to feed, etc. in the last few thousand rounds. I swear by it for autos.
Steve W.
Old November 15, 2011, 08:23 PM   #25
hk33ka1

I always buy the FCD when available, but I do not always use it.

I like to buy a Lee taper crimp die and use it as the fourth step for most of my pistol loads, including cast.