The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2014, 03:55 PM   #1
DealHunter

Lilja Barrels (Bolt gun)?

I recently fell into a used Sako Quad (.22lr Varmint) and had ordered a .17hmr barrel from a local place but now I'm being told it would take forever and a day to get here (would be 12+ months). I like shopping local when I can but that's a bit long to wait for a non-custom item.

I've found a new 17mr varmint barrel for it (available now and cheaper) online in-stock but they also have the option of the same varmint barrel in stainless from Lilja (also in stock).

It's about $100 more for it and I have no experience with them at all. Sako has a pretty good reputation already but has anyone used any Lilja barrels on their rifles and are they worth the extra cost?

Thanks
Old January 23, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
taylorce1

Dan Lilja builds very good barrels, I have two rifles with them a .25-06 and .338-06. Both shoot better than I do, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any barrel from him.
Old January 23, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
handlerer2

I know that Lilja barreled target rifles, have in Anshultz rimfire rifles, won international and Olympic competitions.

Lilja is a Montana industry located in Kalispell, I believe. They are generally regarded to be amoung the elite barrel makers in the trade. May cost a little more than a Douglas generic replacement barrel. You would, if you ordered from Lilja, have to have the barrel chambered, so if this is a chambered barrel, that's available to you, that's one detail you will not have to deal with.
Old January 23, 2014, 05:30 PM   #4
DealHunter

Quote:
have to have the barrel chambered, so if this is a chambered barrel, that's available to you, that's one detail you will not have to deal with.
My understanding is the Quad, being designed as a completely modular system, has (literally) drop in barrels so they should come chambered already (both the Sako or the Lilja barrels).
Old January 23, 2014, 08:41 PM   #5
old roper

I've never used one of Lilja rim fire barrels but have used his center fired barrels that require gunsmith to chamber and their good barrels.
NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Nathan

Quote:
Kalispell
actually Plains I believe.

On a more technical note, he makes barrel blanks. If you see a barrel for sale, somebody finished it. It would be good to know who did that work as it might be suspect...
Old January 23, 2014, 10:00 PM   #7
DealHunter

Quote:
On a more technical note, he makes barrel blanks. If you see a barrel for sale, somebody finished it. It would be good to know who did that work as it might be suspect...
From this website (which I think is their own) it seems like they make them ready to drop in?

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...le_barrels.htm
Old January 25, 2014, 01:22 PM   #8
reynolds357

Lilja is all I shoot on my bench guns. On rare occasion I build with Hart.