The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
weblance

Armalaser TR(Touch Reflex) Laser Review

I recently bought a Kel-Tec P32 and wanted a laser. I looked around and found the ArmaLaser TR laser. I looked for reviews of the TR series laser, and didnt find any, so when the laser came today, and I got it installed, I figured I would post my initial thoughts.

I have experience with CrimsonTrace LaserGrips, and CT LaserGuards, and LaserMax Laser Guards. This is my first ArmaLaser.

The ArmaLaser is very similar to the CrimsonTrace Style LaserGuards for the pocket pistols like the Ruger LCP. It has a two piece body that snaps around the trigger guard and secures with two screws. It has an external battery door, and a master on/off switch. The laser activation is instant, like the Crimson Trace, but uses a novel activation style. It has two gold plated contacts at the rear of the trigger guard. When you grasp the pistol to fire, your middle finger naturally touches the gold contacts, turning on the laser. It works very well, and naturally. There is no switch like the Crimson Trace, just the two gold contacts. Time will tell which style is better for durability.

The body of the laser is fairly thick, as you can see in the pictures. It is thicker than the slide, and at first, I didnt like that, but in actual use, its fine. The laser has two modes, constant on, and pulse. You have to select which style you want before you screw the two halves of the body together. It would be nice if you could select the two different modes externally, but you cant. The laser uses a 1/3N battery, the same as the Crimson Trace, and LaserMax.

The cost is very close to the LaserMax laser, and is cheaper than the Crimson Trace. Currently, there are only three TR lasers, the KelTec P32/P3AT, H&K USP, and SCCY CPX. The Armalaser websight says more styles will be available in early 2013.

I really like the features of this laser. I have a LaserMax laser on my LCP, and turning on the laser with the switch can be a problem. If you need the pistol in a hurry, I want my finger on the trigger, instead of the lasers "on" switch. The ArmaLaser, and Crimson Trace dont have that issue. The ArmaLaser is considerably cheaper in price than the Crimson Trace. If one becomes available for the Ruger LCP, I will be swapping the LaserMax for the ArmaLaser TR.