The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Dwight55

A new (to me) self defense tactic

While I carry my 1911 anywhere I can, anytime I can, . . . I am forced by circumstances sometimes to be working in a gun free zone.

Recently, a drunk and a couple of his compadres got into a "discussion", . . . and while I was able to wiggle out of that one, . . . at 65, I'm not really in the mood for fisticuffs with 2 or more 30 somethings.

I have my cellphone with me if I am out and about, . . . and several months ago, . . . I got a wireless ear piece for it. I wear it anytime I am in a gun free zone.

With it, . . . I push the button in the earpiece for 3 seconds, . . . the phone then asks me for a command, . . . "Call 9 1 1" gets the cavalry coming.

I just wanted to share, as I had never thought of it until I had to go back a week later to the same gun free zone, . . . wondered if company awaited me, . . . wanted a quick response, . . . VOILA, . . . wireless earpiece to the rescue. I didn't have to use it, . . . but I'm glad I got it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 10, 2010, 10:39 PM   #2
aroundchicago

Calling 911 is always good but there are times when it could take a little bit of time for the cops to show. Having a good bottle of pepper spray can be better than nothing if your not ccw. It's not ideal but again, it can certainly buy some extra time to extract yourself from a bad situation.
Old March 10, 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Ben Towe

What about a Taser? Can't you carry them in gun free zones?
Old March 11, 2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Big_T

That's not a knife; THIS is a KNIFE

Carry a knife. A proper, legal, folding, locking bade knife. I am NEVER without one. (that's life in CA...no gun ) I prefer SOG's Mini X-Ray Vision because it's small and like nearly every SOG knife, you can change the way the pocket clip goes on. I carry it clipped to the TOP of my strong hand front trouser pocket so when I reach in it's out of the way to the rest of the stuff in the pocket but easy to get my index finger around the top of the knife which then comes out in my palm correctly oriented for action. Also it's not automatic (illegal everywhere) or spring loaded (illegal some places) so I can take it pretty much everywhere except the plane.

At night I'll also pack a very bright SureFire (or similar) flashlight so the BG is seeing spots rather than my "good side" while I'm setting a new world record in 400m hurdles.

_________
The only weapon is the human mind. Caliber varies
Old March 11, 2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Caboclo

While I was in the gun shop yesterday buying a new toy I saw a news article on their bulletin board recommending a can of wasp spray over pepper spray. Longer range, more debilitating, and no one will think of it as a weapon.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
aroundchicago

The wasp spray is an excellent choice in a place of business because you can keep it on your desk and nobody would think twice about it, it does have an excellent range, and you wouldn't want to get shot in the eyes with it. Carrying a can of wasp spray however, isn't very size efficient or very practical.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
howwie

wasp spray...thats great, I never thought about it. +1 on a good knife too. I'm the same way, gun or no gun I've always got my assisted opening kershaw.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Hook686

You are 65. It is not out of the ordinary for a senior to use a walking stick to get about, especially in 'gun free' zones. These can prove quite useful when the 'discussion' gets personal.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
comn-cents

I work in a gun free zone and have to deal with drunks nightly. Pepper/mace spray is my choice. Backed up with a nice knife, if it escalates to a life threatening situation.
So far haven't had to use either, but the pepper/mace spray is in hand.
Old March 11, 2010, 02:46 PM   #10
qcpunk

Quote:
Also it's not automatic (illegal everywhere)
Big T, Auto knives are NOT illegal everywhere, I have 3 and they are legal for me to have and carry in arizona.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:17 PM   #11
TailGator

At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I think I understand that OP wanted us to consider the value of a nearby bad actor hearing him (or us) say, out loud, "Call 911," into the phone. I am not sure that I read that he needed advice on tactical knives, pepper spray, or insecticides.
Old March 11, 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
GUNSITE

A friend of mind made a walking stick out of a CATTLE PROD, the part that touch the ground was attached to/fitted to the upper part which was the CATTLE PROD. He would pull it apart when needed, or just use it as a walking stick.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:31 PM   #13
cubesmoothie

Calling 911 might take too long. This is why i pack some tactical shaving cream pies. If i'm confronted by an agressor, i smack him in the face with the pie to temporarily blind him and demean his moral. That is when i make my escape, usually with smoke grenades to hide my path.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:55 PM   #14
bbqbob51

Cubesmoothie, do you use the full size or the folding tactical cream pies?
Old March 12, 2010, 08:06 AM   #15
pax

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread