The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 1999, 01:24 PM   #1
fubsy

Does anyone know of a way to put a scope in front of the receiver on a garand?,,,,I was looking through the springfield catalog and noticed a rifle called the scout which is a 18" barreled rifle with a scope mounted in such a way. Would that method work on a garand and if so, how is it done? Ideally Id like to be able to purchase the m1a and be done with it, but realistically the $1500.00 price tag is out of my reach.
tks for the input....fubsy.
Old May 10, 1999, 09:29 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

The military did exactly what you want with the M1D; which had its scope mounted on the barrel and forward of the receiver. A machine sleeve was affixed to the barrel, which in turn hand to be turned down on a lathe. The sleeve was drilled and tapped for the scope mount which screwed onto the sleeve. This permitted the same stock to be used with the only modification being the addition of a laced on (and screwed into place) leather cheekpiece. The handguard had to be shortened to accomodate the sleeve.

While you can still buy the scope mount, I don't know where you can get a quality sleeve. I bought a sleeve (missing operative word here is "quality") from Gun Parts Corp (old Numrich, aka: Numbnuts) and found that additional machining was required on the sleeve before the scope mount would mount flush to the sleeve (for better support and to prevent canting - which would affect scope adjustments at longer ranges). So, I shelved that project (and luckily won the CMP lotto and got myself a real M1D).

Anybody with suggestions on getting real M1D barrels or quality sleeves?
Old May 10, 1999, 10:33 PM   #3
fubsy

I appreciate your response....do you know were I can locate photo's or pictures of that set up?.......I wasnt aware of the military doing such a thing, all I was aware of was the side mounted scopes......
I dont know if this is common knowledge or a friend of mine came up with away to reload an enbloc clip while it is still in the garand, unfortunately there is no bolt hold open. As you look at the side with out the bolt handle you will see a lip of metal were the metal extends slightly past the wood, take a clip and cut a piece from it that you can trim to fit in that area and the clip will stay in the rifle......the piece is only a 1/8 inch or so and you cut it out near the back of the clip and bend it towards that side of the receiver. Its worked for us with no problems...and I might still have one somewhere around.....just thought Id pass that along in case its not common knowledge....fubsy.
Old May 10, 1999, 10:37 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Neglected to mention that the scope mount onlt takes 7/8" diameter scopes.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old May 10, 1999, 10:46 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fusby,

Without surfing the net to find you a picture, here's the books I have which have pictures of the M1D:

Hatcher's "Book of the Garand."

W.H.B. Smith's, "Small Arms of the World" and "The Book of the Rifle."

Bruce Canfield's, "U.S. Infantry Weapons of WWII" and "Infantry Weapons of WW II".

Scott Duff's books (he is one of today's Garnd Gurus).

Military manuals on the M1 Garand, M1C and M1D.

Peter Senich's series on Sniping and Sniping Rifles (Paladin Press).

Sorry if I'm being lazy but I'm ducking out of the house with a friend. Good luck!